City Hall will be closed to the public until at least April 12th.  Our COVID-19 resource page has City operational updates. Follow our health experts for Coronavirus updates from the Thomas Jefferson Health District's and Virginia Department of Health website.

Gas Assistance Program (GAP)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Gas Assistance ProgramIn an effort to assist low-income Charlottesville area residents with their gas heating bills, the City participates in two utility assistance programs.

The State of Virginia Energy Assistance Program helps eligible households with the cost of heating their homes, regardless of the fuel type used. Households must meet income and resource requirements. These guidelines can be obtained from the Department of Social Service. The State Fuel Program accepts applications in the Fall of each year. Additional information can be obtained by calling your Department of Social Services. The City Social Service phone number is (434) 970-3400 and Albemarle County Social Service number is (434) 972-4010.

The Charlottesville Gas Assistance Program (GAP) is designed to help those individuals heating with natural gas who, although in financial need, do not qualify for State Fuel Assistance or whose State Assistance allotment has been exhausted. Those individuals qualified for State Fuel Assistance, Rent Relief and/or Tax Relief are automatically qualified to receive GAP funds. Others who are not eligible for these programs, but can provide City staff with proof of financial need may also qualify. Verifications include:

a) verification of unpaid leave from work.

b) Virginia Employment Commission papers listing unemployment benefits.

c) statements from insurance companies or hospitals detailing medical expenses.

d) other verification accepted on a case by case basis.

Additional information about the GAP fund can be obtained by calling (434) 970-3211.

Send email to the City Utility Billing Office