City Hall will be closed to the public until at least April 12th.  Our COVID-19 resource page has City operational updates. Follow our health experts for Coronavirus updates from the Thomas Jefferson Health District's and Virginia Department of Health website.


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

FAQ ImageHow is the water consumption on the bill measured?
The consumption on your bill is measured in cubic feet.  There is 7.48 gallons in 1 cubic foot of water.  You can multiply the cubic feet on your bill by 7.48 to compute the gallons you used.

I smell gas. Can you have someone come to my house?
Call the gas service department at (434) 970-3800.

If I have a water emergency, whom do I contact?
Call the water service department at (434) 970-3800.

I need to have residential gas service turned on. What is required as a deposit?
The normal deposit requirements are $250.00 for gas heat and $75.00 for non-heating gas. There is also a $30.00 service charge for starting an account.

I need to have residential water service turned on. What is required as a deposit?
The normal deposit requirements are $75.00 for water service within the city. There is also a $30.00 service charge for starting a new account. If you live in the county of Albemarle you need to call Albemarle County Service Authorityto get water service at (434) 977-4511. 

I need to get residential gas and water on, what is required as a deposit?
The normal deposit requirements for gas are $250.00 for heating and $75.00 for non-heating. A deposit of $75.00 for water service within the city. There is a $30.00 service charge for starting a new account.

What is the deposit charge for a commercial account?
The deposit for gas at a commercial location with a previous history shall be the greater of $250.00 or the total of the two prior highest months. The water deposit shall be the greater of $75.00 or the highest two prior months.

How can I get my deposit waived? 
You may submit a letter from another utility company where you have had previous service within the past 24 months. You must have had an acceptable credit record for 1 year. The deposit can also be waived if the customer has had city water or gas service at the same or some other address within the past 24 months and had an acceptable credit record for a year.

Do you accept credit cards? 
You can pay your utility bill with a credit card.    Click here to pay online or call 1-866-660-5185 to pay by phone. 

Do you have a direct debit payment plan? 
Yes, the City has an Easy Pay Plan.  Please click here to read more information and download an application.  

Where can I pay my utility bill?
Payments can be made inside City Hall, located at 605 E. Main St.

Checks and money order payments may be dropped 24 hours a day in the drop box beside the 6th Street Entrance of City Hall (pedestrian access only) or in the drop box located in the parking lot between the Downtown Recreation Center and the City Hall Annex (vehicular access available).

Checks and money order payments may also be dropped during business hours in the drop box located in the vestibule of the 605 East Market St. entrance to City Hall.  Payments may also be dropped in the drop box located in the Police Department Lobby at 606 East Market St.  The Police Department Lobby is open from 6 a.m. until 11 p.m. daily.

Payments dropped in these boxes after 3 p.m. will be processed the following business day. 

Please be certain to enclose your bill stub, account number, or other description of the bill to which you would like your payment credited, as well as a return address or phone number, so that your payment may be properly credited without delay.

Your payment can also be mailed to the city. Remember to allow 5 business days for posting the payments. Our mailing address is:

City of Charlottesville
PO Box 591
Charlottesville, VA 22902

You can use a credit or debit card to pay your utility bill.  Either call 1-866-660-5185 or click here to pay online. 

The City of Charlottesville offer our customers an Easypay payment option.  Easypay debits your bank account to pay your utility bill.  Click here for more information.

What are your hours of operation?
City Hall is open Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 

You may reach Customer Service at 434-970-3211. For your convenience, representatives are available from 8:00 a.m to 4:45 p.m Monday-Friday. If you have concerns after hours you may email  or for emergencies please call 911.

Do you have a budget billing plan?

Yes. You can divide your yearly billing into twelve scheduled payments on our budget plan. The amount is figured by totaling the last twelve billing months and dividing that amount by twelve. The City adds an additional ten percent to the monthly billing for any rate increases which might take place while on the budget plan. The budget amount will be reviewed every six months.  After it is reviewed, the budget amount could go up or down depending on the last twelve months. There also may be times that we readjust your budget amount due to usage pattern changes, unusual weather, or rate changes. You must be a residential gas heating customer to be on the budget plan.

When can I sign up for the budget plan?
You can apply for the budget plan anytime during the year. Your account must have a zero balance in order to go on the budget plan, Call customer service for an application, (434) 970-3211, or click here to learn more about the budget plan and download an application.

Can I make arrangements on my past due bill?
Customers that would like to get an extension on their billing may call (434) 970-3211 to make arrangements for payment.

Does the City offer a way for utilities to revert to the landlord between tenants?   

The city offers a Landlord Agreement that allows gas and water to go into the landlord's name when a tenant initiates disconnection. Click here for FAQ's and an application