The City of Charlottesville Code, Chapter 25, Section 25.1 and The Code of Virginia, Section 63.2-305 provide the legal basis for the Department of Social Services Advisory Board activities.
Membership of the board shall consist of nine (9) members appointed by city council, one (1) of whom shall be a member of city council. The term of the city council member shall be concurrent with his or her service on the council. Other appointments shall be for a term of four (4) years each except that appointments to fill vacancies shall be for the unexpired terms. No person shall serve more than two (2) consecutive terms. The director of social services shall be an ex officio member, without vote, of the advisory board. It shall be the policy of the Board to seek to ensure that at all times at least one member is a current or former consumer of the department’s services.
Powers and Duties:
The powers and duties of the advisory board shall be as follows:
- To interest itself in all matters pertaining to the social welfare of the people of the city;
- To monitor the formulation and implementation of social welfare programs in the city;
- To meet with the director of social services at least four (4) times a year for the purpose of making recommendations on policy matters concerning the department of social services;
- To make an annual report to city council, concurrent with the presentation of the annual budget, concerning the information of public welfare programs;
- To submit to city council from time to time other reports that the advisory board deems appropriate;
- To perform such other functions as may be from time to time prescribed for such boards by Code of Virginia, section 63.2-305
All meetings are open to the public.
Unless otherwise noted, meetings are held on the fourth Monday of the month from 12:00-1:30 p.m. in the city hall basement conference room.
The 2019 meeting schedule is as follows:
Monday, January 28, 2019
Monday, February 25, 2019
Monday, March 25, 2019
Monday, April 22, 2019
Monday, May 27, 2019** - Meeting Cancelled
The May and June meetings have been combined into 1 meeting and will be held on Monday, June 10th from 12:00-1:30 in the city hall basement conference room.
Monday, June 24, 2019 - Meeting Cancelled
Monday, July 22, 2019
Monday, August 26, 2019
Monday, September 23, 2019
Monday, October 28, 2019
Monday, November 25, 2019
Monday, December 23, 2019
** Meeting may be cancelled or rescheduled due to holiday.
Unless otherwise noted, monthly meeting agendas include:
- Call to Order
- Public Comment
- Approval of the Previous Meeting Minutes
- Members' Report
- Chair's Report
- Director's Report
- Public Comment
Please click here to view prior meeting minutes and annual reports to City Council.
For more information concerning the advisory board, please contact us at:
Department of Social Services Advisory Board
P.O. Box 911
Charlottesville, VA 22902
Telephone: (434) 970-3400