The City of Charlottesville provides free curbside leaf collection in November, December, and January. In October, each household receives a roll of free plastic bags to use to collect their leaves.
Leaves are brought to a local farm for composting.
Bagged Leaf Collection (Fall Only)
The City will be conducting its annual Fall bagged leaf collection operations beginning October 29th and ending on January 31st. Please have your bagged leaves placed curbside by 7:00am on Monday for collection sometime that week.
Click for detailed bagged leaf collection Guidelines.
- Bagged leaf collection will begin on October 29, 2018 and end on January 31, 2019.
- Only clear plastic bags supplied FREE by the City during the Fall collection period will be collected.
- Fill bags only 3/4 full.
- Secure the bags by tying top in a loose knot. Please DO NOT use twist ties or other means to secure the bag.
- Set bags UPRIGHT at the curb or street edge, NOT on sidewalk.
- Bags exceeding 50 lbs. will not be collected.
- Bags containing ANY household items, sticks, wood, metal, or plastics, WILL NOT BE COLLECTED.
Loose Leaf Collection (Fall Only)
Residents may use bags for bagged leaf collection or rake their loose leaves to the curb twice per season. Loose leaves will be vacuumed twice per season. Please rake your loose leaves to the curb by 7:00 am on the start date specified for your zone, but no more than three days before the first scheduled day of collection for your street.
Click here for the detailed 2018 Leaf Map, which includes collection dates for your zone. Loose leaf collection services will conclude on February 8th, 2019.
To keep up to date on the City's leaf collection progress click here.
For more information, call (434) 970-3830 or email.