Charlottesville Police Department is Currently Hiring
Police Officer Recruit
July 2019: $43,681.39
The written exam will be administered on the following dates:
- May 6, 2019, at 5:30 p.m. at Charlottesville High School
Candidate Selection Process:
STEP 1: Police Officer Selection Test
Qualified applicants will receive an email inviting them to the written test (POST). Applicants will not be admitted to the test without a photo ID. Applicants should be dressed in proper business attire for all appointments except when otherwise instructed.
Jeans, t-shirts, shorts, and sneakers are not considered proper business attire
Applicants must fully complete the background packet that includes a Personal History Statement and Authorization for Release of Personal Records & Information Consent Form. Both documents need to be notarized, so do not sign them until reviewed by a notary public. Bring a state issued ID to your notary appointment. Return your completed background packet on the day of the written exam.
STEP 2: Interview
Applicants will participate in an oral panel interview with members of the Charlottesville Police Department to assess their qualifications for employment with our agency.
Applicants will be fingerprinted and photographed during this phase.
WHEN SCHEDULED FOR THE INTERVIEW YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- An official copy of your birth certificate with raised seal. If no record of your birth is on file at the Department of Health or the Bureau of Vital Statistics of the State in which you were born, obtain a statement from the agency attesting to the fact.
- Records of change of name, if applicable. Bring all available documents on this matter.
- Naturalization papers, if foreign born. Police Officers must be U.S. Citizens at time of appointment.
- High School Diploma and Diplomas or degrees from colleges attended. If qualification is by High School Equivalency Diploma or Armed Forces G.E.D. Certificate, the record of the scores you obtained in the individual tests must be presented. Transcripts from all colleges you attended, either part time or full time, must be included.
- Copies of any military or technical training certificates.
- Marriage certificate, if applicable. Certificate must be issued by a government agency.
- Birth Certificates of children, if any.
- Records of divorce, annulment or legal separation, if applicable.
- Social Security Card
- Selective Service Registration and Classification Cards. To verify via the internet go to WWW.SSS.GOV and click on “Check Registration”, If not registered, you may register online.
- Original Discharge or separation papers for all military service (DD 214 member 4 copy).
Applicants must pass the interview to move forward in the process
STEP 3: Background Investigation
The background investigation evaluates your personal history to determine if you meet the high standards and qualifications needed to serve the Charlottesville Community. You must pass this phase to proceed to the next step of the selection process.
STEP 4: Conditional Offer of Probationary Employment
The purpose of this agreement is to extend to the applicant a conditional offer of employment. The applicant must complete additional steps and conditions before being approved for hire. A final offer of employment will be extended to the applicant only after you have satisfied all the requirements established by the department.
The remaining qualification steps are required to become a probationary police officer. These steps may not necessarily be completed in the order listed below.
STEP 5: Polygraph Examination
Applicants will be given a polygraph examination (lie detector test) administered by a trained, licensed examiner. The test will confirm information noted on the applicant’s Personal History Statement.
STEP 6: Psychological Examination
Applicants must pass a written exam and interview with a licensed psychologist
STEP 7: Medical Examination
Applicants will undergo a complete medical exam to determine if they have optimal health and fitness for the job demands. This examination will include a drug screen test.
STEP 8: Physical Agility & Fitness Test
STEP 9: Final Job Offer
Equal Employment Opportunity Plan Policy Statement
The City of Charlottesville Police Department is committed to equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals irrespective of race, age, national origin, creed, or other factors not related to job performance, and complies with all applicable state and federal laws governing fair and equitable treatment of employees.
As outlined in departmental and City policies, employees of the Police Department have recourse through the City’s grievance procedure, as well as state code to resolve matters related to allegations of discriminatory practices. These policies are communicated to employees in writing.
A copy of the Police Department’s Equal Employment Opportunity Plan (EEOP) Short Form is available to the public and may be obtained from the City of Charlottesville’s Department of Human Resources.
If you have interest in employment opportunities with the Charlottesville Police Department, please contact the Office of Professional Development at (434) 970-3372 or JoinCPD@charlottesville.org