Paul Goodloe McIntire
Paul Goodloe McIntire is acknowledged as one of the great benefactors of the City of Charlottesville, the County of Albemarle and also the University of Virginia. He was born in Charlottesville on May 28, 1860 to George Malcolm McIntire and Catherine Clark McIntire. His father was a druggist in Charlottesville who served as mayor during the Civil War.
In 1880, as a young man of twenty with few resources, he left the University of Virginia after one semester and went to Chicago "... to earn some money." He worked first as a coffee salesman and later as a stockbroker. He moved to New York City, bought a seat on the New York Stock Exchange in 1901, and amassed a fortune over the next twenty years.
During the 1920's he used his wealth to beautify his native city with parks and fine sculpture, to expand cultural experiences for his fellow citizens, and to broaden educational offerings for students in public schools and at the University.
The gifts of Paul Good McIntire are a prominent part of our city landscape and greatly enrich our daily lives. They include the public library and five parks: Lee, Jackson, Belmont, Washington and McIntire.
He gave the statues of Lee and Jackson that are located in those parks and dedicated Lee Park to the memory of his parents. He gave the statue of explorers Meriwether Lewis, William Clark and Sacajawea which is found at the intersection of Ridge and McIntire Roads in the City. Another statue of George Rogers Clark, located at the intersection of Jefferson Park Avenue and West Main Street, was a gift of his to the University of Virginia.
Though Mr. McIntire spent much of his life in other cities, he chose to be buried in Maplewood Cemetery when he died in 1952. His grave is located within a family plot in this peaceful corner of the city he served so well.
The City of Charlottesville wishes to thank:
The Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society
Special Collections Department, University of Virginia Library