Rugby Road Conservation District
The Rugby Road Neighborhood Association filed an application on March 20, 2014 to be designated as a Historic Conservation District. City Council approved their application on September 2, 2014.
Extending from University Circle to the intersection of Preston Ave and Rugby Road, the approximately
15-acre potential Rugby Road Historic District appears eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. This area could be added as a boundary expansion of the existing Rugby Road-University Corner Historic District or as a potential separate historic district. A boundary increase would also extend the current Venable Neighborhood Architectural Design Control district. Composed of thirty-three properties along the Rugby Road corridor, the district follows the historic residential development of Rugby Road, just north of the University of Virginia. All of the properties within this boundary were built between 1899 and 1961, with the majority of the structures dating between 1899 and 1929, the exception being a single dwelling constructed in 2010. The district features an exceptional representation of late-Victorian and Colonial Revival residential and ecclesiastical architecture, including designs by prominent local architects Eugene Bradbury, Marshall Wells, Stanhope Johnson, and Stanislaw Makielski. Charles Gillette was also involved in one property's landscape design. Featuring large lots with mature trees and substantial stylistic architecture, the potential district is a good representation of Charlottesville's expansion around the University of Virginia near the turn of the twentieth century. Most properties include a single contributing resource, although some are supported with a small garage, shed, and/or swimming pool.
For a detailed survey of each individual property click this link: Rugby Road Conservation District Survey