AirBnB / HomeStay Operators

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What you need to do

Homeowners contemplating offering temporary lodging out of their home must first complete and submit the Homestay Provisional Use Permit to the Department of Neighborhood Development Services in City Hall.

Next, you will need to obtain a Business License (issued by the Commissioner of the Revenue), and register to collect and remit the City’s Transient Occupancy Tax (also through the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office).

Please fill out the above linked documents per instructions and return them (with applicable taxes/fees) to the address indicated on each form.  Once the Department of Neighborhood Development Services issues the necessary Homestay permit, the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office will issue your business license along with the necessary forms for remitting monthly transient occupancy tax.  Those using online rental platforms like AirBnB must report GROSS rental receipts, not the payout from the platform!

If your Homestay business is already licensed under a different name, please advise the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office at your earliest convenience (including license number). 

If your business uses a fictitious or assumed name, please register it with the Charlottesville Circuit Court at 315 East High Street, Charlottesville, VA 22902 and advise the Commissioner's Office.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office by phone at 434-970-3170 or by email at  NDS can be reached by phone at 434-970-3182.


NEW     Charlottesville Commissioner of the Revenue's Statement in Opposition to Collection Agreements with Online Hosting Platform AirBnB

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer