City Hall will be closed to the public until at least April 12th.  Our COVID-19 resource page has City operational updates. Follow our health experts for Coronavirus updates from the Thomas Jefferson Health District's and Virginia Department of Health website.

Zone Parking Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Permit Year September 1, 2018 through August 31, 2019.

View the entire Residential Permit Parking Zone City Ordinance.

Please note:

  • old permits expire on August 31 of each year
  • new permits go on sale beginning July 25, 2019 in the main lobby of the Treasurer's Office on the first floor of City Hall
  • Download a Residential or Guest Parking Permit Application
  • Zone Permit Parking Map

Q: Why did the city enact the residential zone permit program?

A: In order to reduce or prevent congestion and hazardous traffic conditions in residential areas, to protect these areas from polluted air, excessive noise, and other adverse environmental impacts of automobile commuting, to protect the residents of these areas from unreasonable burdens in gaining access to their property, and to preserve the residential character of such areas and the property value therein (Section 15-201)

Q: Who may obtain residential zone permits?

A: Residents of most affected households may obtain permits by application through the City Treasurer's Office (970-3146; City Hall, 605 East Main Street, 1st floor). Please call the Treasurer's Office in order to determine the necessary proof of residency and vehicle ownership requirements. However, certain specified multifamily households, such as apartment buildings, may have to apply for permits through an owner/ agent designated by the property owner. Again please call 970-3146 for details regarding specific addresses.

Q: What documentation do I need in order to obtain a zone parking permit?

A:  1.) Proof of vehicle ownership shall consist of a valid registration for the vehicle in question, or a City of Charlottesville personal property tax return for such vehicle, either of which must indicate that the vehicle is registered at an address within the restricted parking block for which a permit is sought. UVa students, registrations titled in your parents' name may be submitted if accompanied by a student ID.

     2.) Proof of residency may be made as follows, provided all such proof shows an address within the restricted parking block for which a permit is sought:

  • a valid Driver's license or Virginia state identification card, or presentation of a City of Charlottesville personal property tax return, reflecting the residential address for which this zone permit is issued.
  • Proof of ownership of the property at the address within the restricted parking block for which a permit is sought  or a signed agreement establishing occupancy thereof.

Q: How much do permits cost?

A: Both residential and guest permits cost $25.00 each; certain households, upon survey by the city traffic engineer, may be eligible for up to 2 no-charge permits if they are determined to not have off-street parking spaces. Please call the City Treasurer's Office (434-970-3146) to determine if your household meets this definition.

Q: How many permits are available for each address?

A: For most single-family affected households, the number of permits available is 4 residential and 2 guests. However, please check with the Treasurer's Office (434-970-3146) for the number available for your specific address. For multifamily properties, the number of available permits is determined by several factors, including the number of units.  Permits are available on a first-come, first serve basis for affected households. Again, please call for more information.

Q: If I move away from a permit address, can I return my permit?

A: Yes; in fact, city code requires that residential permits be surrendered whenever the holder of such a permit moves from that address. If you move away from a permit address and do not surrender your permit, you are “locking up” that space for any future residents or tenants of that property.

Q: Can I purchase a permit to park on a particular street in order to walk to work or class from that street?

A: No; permits are available only to residents of these areas, and are not for sale to commuters, students, or other non-residents .

Q: Can I use a guest permit if all the available residential permits have been purchased for my address? 

Guest Permit

A: No, guest permits are for the use of bona-fide guests only, to be used by someone who visits the resident(s) at that household for a relatively short period of time and who needs a temporary place to park. Tickets will be issued to vehicles determined to be in violation.

Q: Where does a residential permit allow its holder to park?

A: Vehicles to which a residential permit have been issued may park only in the block and street designated on the permit itself, and may not park in any other zone, street, or block. Zone permits do not guarantee the right to a space, but only the right to park in a particular block of a particular street should the space be available.

Q: Where on a vehicle should residential permits be displayed?

A: Residential permits must be displayed in the lower left hand corner of the rear window (immediately behind the driver, at the bottom left). This placement aids enforcement. Guest permits must be hung from the rear-view mirror, with the address side facing out. Please note that tickets cannot be dismissed on the basis that a permit had been purchased but was not displayed properly in a guest’s vehicle.

Q: What is the fine for parking in a residential zone permit area without a permit?

A: $25.00 if the fine is paid within 96 hours of ticket issue. Fines double if not paid within this time period. Fines unpaid after a specified length of time will result in collective action by our office.

Q: What should I do if I lose my permit?

A: Residential decals, if destroyed or lost, may be re-issued within the same permit year, upon written explanation, satisfactory to the city treasurer, and upon payment of an additional twenty-five dollar ($25.00) fee.  However, please note that guest permits may not be reissued under any circumstances if lost, stolen, or destroyed.

If your residential permit is stolen from your vehicle, or destroyed in an accident, you must complete an affidavit certifying that fact and apply for a replacement permit (cost: $25.00). The treasurer’s office may request accompanying certification such as a police report or insurance claim.

Q: What should I do if I need to replace my permit?

A: A person who continues to reside at the same address, upon disposing of a vehicle for which a permit has been issued, may obtain a new permit for a replacement vehicle upon surrender of the previous permit and application for a new permit for the replacement vehicle. This transaction shall be deemed a "transfer" of the permit. The transfer fee is two dollars ($2.00).