EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
City of Charlottesville, VA - Charlottesville Area Transit
1. The City of Charlottesville has a strong commitment to the community and our employees. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to have a workforce that reflects the community we serve. No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, marital status, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class.
2. The City of Charlottesville’s Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation.
3. All applicants and employees have the right to file complaints alleging discrimination. Retaliation against an individual who files a charge or complaint of discrimination, participates in an employment discrimination proceeding (such as an investigation or lawsuit), or otherwise engages in protected activity is strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated.
4. The City of Charlottesville is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees who need them because of a disability or to practice or observe their religion, absent undue hardship.
5. As the City of Charlottesville’s City Manager, I maintain overall responsibility and accountability for the City’s compliance with its EEO Policy and Program. To ensure day-to-day management, including program preparation, monitoring, and complaint investigation, I have appointed Leslie Beauregard as the EEO Officer, (434) 970-3105. Leslie Beauregard will report directly to me and acts with my authority with all levels of management, labor unions, and employees.
6. All City of Charlottesville executives, management, and supervisory personnel, however, share in the responsibility for implementing and monitoring the City’s EEO Policy and Program within their respective areas and will be assigned specific tasks to ensure compliance is achieved. The City of Charlottesville will evaluate its managers’ and supervisors’ performance on their successful implementation of the City’s policies and procedures, in the same way the City assesses their performance regarding other agency’s goals.
7. The City of Charlottesville is committed to undertaking and developing a written nondiscrimination program that sets forth the policies, practices, and procedures, with goals and timetables, to which the agency is committed and make the EEO Program available for inspection
by any employee or applicant for employment upon request.
8. I, Maurice Jones, City Manager, am personally committed to a workplace that acts upon its daily responsibility to treat all applicants and employees with dignity and respect, as well as equitably under the guidelines of our EEO Policy and Program.
Click here for the full EEO PLAN.