The City provides a wide variety of Boards and Commissions that encourage members to participate in discussions that affect and shape the future of our City. We believe it is not only the right, but the responsibility of interested and capable citizens to become engaged in local government policy by advising the Mayor and City Council on important community-related issues. Serving on a Board or Commission is an excellent way to make a personal contribution to Charlottesville's growth and can be a rewarding experience for everyone!
The deadline to submit an application is August 9, 2019, unless otherwise noted.
City Council is currently accepting applications for the following openings:
- Building Code Board of Appeals - 3 vacancies
- Community Development Block Grant Task Force - 5 vacancies
- Social issues representative (1)
- Low-to-moderate income neighborhood representatives from CDBG neighborhoods: Belmont, Fifeville, 10th & Page, Ridge Street, or Rose Hill (4)
- Community Policy and Management Team - 1 vacancy (Parent Representative)
- Historic Resources Committee - minimum 1/maximum 3 vacancies
- JAUNT - 3 vacancies
- Minority Business Commission - 5 vacancies
- Parking Advisory Panel - 3 vacancies
- Personnel Appeal Board - 1 vacancy (cannot be City employee)
- PLACE Design Task Force - 3 vacancies
- Representatives for: Citizen At-Large; Development; Charlottesville Area Transit (CAT)
- Police Civilian Review Board - 8 vacancies [Applications are being accepted for future consideration of CRB membership; however, appointments will not be considered for August 19 with other board and commission vacancies.]
- Region Ten Community Services Board - 1 vacancy
- Retirement Commission - 4 vacancies
- City Resident (1)
- City Employee At-large (2)
- Sister City Commission
- 3 vacancies
- Representatives for: Bensancon; Higher Education; Youth Cultural Exchange (appointed by Superintendent)
- Social Services Advisory Board - 1 vacancy
- Towing Advisory Board - Law enforcement representative (2)
- Tree Commission
- 3 vacancies
- Low-to-moderate income representative from CDBG neighborhoods: Belmont, Fifeville, 10th & Page, Ridge Street, or Rose Hill (2)
- Charlottesville Area Tree Steward
- Vendor Appeals Board - Non-City Employees (3)
- Youth Council - 4 vacancies. CLICK HERE to download the Youth Council application. Deadline is August 9, 2019.
CLICK HERE to download an application to serve on a board or commission. Preference is given to residents of the City of Charlottesville.
Once you have downloaded and filled out the application form, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send via mail to P.O. Box 911, Charlottesville, VA, 22902, ATTN: Clerk of Council - Boards & Commissions.
Charlottesville City Council reviews applications on a quarterly basis after an opening has been posted for a minimum of 30 days, unless a deadline is posted otherwise and/or Council determines a vacancy needs to be filled sooner. The review schedule for 2019 is as follows:
- March 4, 2019 Council Meeting - deadline to apply is February 21, 2019
- May 20, 2019 Council Meeting - deadline to apply is April 26, 2019
- August 19, 2019 Council Meeting - deadline to apply is August 9, 2019
- November 18, 2019 Council Meeting - deadline to apply is November 8, 2019
For more information about Boards and Commissions, please e-mail email@example.com or call the Clerk of Council's office at 434-970-3113.