The Charlottesville City Council appoints members to a wide variety of Boards and Commissions, encouraging members to participate in discussions that affect and shape the future of our City. We believe it is not only a right, but a responsibility of interested and capable citizens to become engaged in local government policy by advising the City Council on important community-related issues. Serving on a Board or Commission is an excellent way to make a personal contribution to Charlottesville's growth and can be a rewarding experience for everyone.
**Posted April 2, 2020**
Applications for the following Boards and Commissions will be accepted through Friday, June 5 for consideration at the June 15, 2020, City Council meeting. As City Council continues to monitor the COVID-19 public health emergency, board appointments may be postponed until a time deemed appropriate. Applicants whose board appointment dates are currently postponed need not reapply. All applications will be reviewed by Council when appointment proceedings resume.
- Board of Architectural Review - 1 vacancy
- Business or Commercial Property Owner in a design control district
- Charlottesville Area Transit (CAT) Advisory Board - 7 vacancies (Applicants must be City of Charlottesville, Albemarle County, or University of Virginia transit riders)
- Charlottesville Redevelopment and Housing Authority Board - 2 vacancies
- Resident of Public Housing (2)
- Community Policy and Management Team - 2 vacancies
- Parent Representative
- Private Provider Representative
- Historic Resources Committee -5 vacancies
- Human Rights Commission - 1 vacancy
- Jefferson Area Community Criminal Justice Board - 1 vacancy
- City Resident Representative
- James-Madison Regional Library Board (JMRL) - 1 vacancy
- Minority Business Commission - 1 vacancy
- Parking Advisory Panel - 3 vacancies
- Property owner, operator or employee of a business within two blocks of the metered area with a minimum of one hourly employee (2)
- City Resident (1)
- Personnel Appeals Board - 1 vacancy (Applicants may not be a City of Charlottesville employee)
- Piedmont Family YMCA Board - 1 vacancy
- City Resident Representative
- Piedmont Virginia Community College Board - 2 vacancies
- City Resident (2)
- Planning Commission - 2 vacancies (Interview required by Council; must be a City resident)
- PLACE Design Task Force - 2 vacancies
- CAT Representative
- Region 10 Community Services Board - 1 vacancy
- Sister Cities Commission - 5 vacancies
- At-Large (2)
- Besancon Rep.
- Business Rep.
- Poggio a Caiano Rep.
- Social Services Advisory Board - 4 vacancies
- Towing Advisory Board - 1 vacancy
- Towing Industry Rep.
- Tree Commission - 1 vacancy
- Charlottesville Area Tree Steward
- Vendor Appeals Board - 2 vacancies (Applicants may not be a City of Charlottesville employee)
Once you have downloaded and completed the application, please SAVE and email to email@example.com, or send via mail to P.O. Box 911, Charlottesville, VA, 22902, ATTN: Clerk of Council - Boards & Commissions.
Charlottesville City Council reviews Boards & Commissions applications on a quarterly basis after an opening has been posted for a minimum of 30 days, unless Council determines a vacancy needs to be filled sooner and a deadline is posted otherwise. Council may extend a deadline as necessary. The appointment schedule for 2020 is as follows:
- March 16, 2020 (application deadline March 6, 2020)
- June 15, 2020 (application deadline June 5, 2020)
- September 21, 2020 (application deadline September 11, 2020)
- December 21, 2020 (application deadline December 11, 2020)