City Hall will be closed to the public until at least April 12th.  Our COVID-19 resource page has City operational updates. Follow our health experts for Coronavirus updates from the Thomas Jefferson Health District's and Virginia Department of Health website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

When was Charlottesville founded?
The City of Charlottesville was founded in 1762 and was incorporated as an independent city in 1888. Charlottesville is located at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains adjacent to Albemarle County in the Commonwealth of Virginia.  The city is named after Princess Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, the wife of King George III of England.

Where is City Hall located?  How do I get there?
City Hall is located at 605 East Main Street in downtown Charlottesville.  The building is at the east end of the Downtown Mall. Directions to City Hall can be found here.

What form of government does Charlottesville have?
The City of Charlottesville has the Council-Manager form of government. Learn more about the Council-Manager form of government from the National League of Cities here.

When does the City Council meet?
The City Council meets on the first and third Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers, City Hall at 605 East Main Street at the east end of the Downtown Mall. Council meetings are broadcast live on Charlottesville's own TV10 on Comcast and stream online here.

What is on the next City Council agenda?  Can I read minutes of past meetings online?
City Council agendas are posted online in advance of meetings.  You can find copies of past and future agendas here.  Council meeting minutes can be found online here.

I want to speak or present at a City Council meeting, how do I do that?
Time is open for up to sixteen speakers on subjects not scheduled for a public hearing at the beginning of each regular meeting. Additional time is open for speakers at the end of the each meeting. Speakers are asked to limit their remarks to three minutes. Upon written or phone request, the Clerk of Council will answer questions about Council business and add items to meeting agendas.  You can reach the Clerk of Council by emailing or calling 434-970-3113.

How do I apply to serve on a City Board or Commission?
The Office of the Clerk of Council coordinates board and commission applications. Current board and commission openings and a downloadable application can be found here. Or contact the clerk for more information 434-970-3113.

Am I eligible to vote in the City of Charlottesville?  How do I register?  Where is my polling place?
All questions related to elections and voting in the City of Charlottesville should be directed to the Office of the Voter Registrar.  You may reach the office by phone at 434-970-3250 or visit the website.

I would like more information about Charlottesville Area Transit (CAT). Where should I go?
For information about CAT service, please visit the CAT website or jump directly to the CAT frequently asked questions page. You may also reach CAT by phone at 434-970-3349 or email at

Where can I get trash stickers for curbside collection in the City of Charlottesville?
Trash stickers are sold in the lobby of Charlottesville City Hall, 605 E. Main Street or at many area convenience and grocery stores. For a complete list of locations that sell trash stickers, click here. Annual trash decals are only available at City Hall.

I need to establish water or gas service in the City of Charlottesville, who do I call?
Please contact the City of Charlottesville Utility Billing Office to turn on gas or water service. The office can be reached at 434-970-3211 for billing questions and new service, or you can visit them in City Hall on the first floor. For more information about Utilities, please visit their website.

I have a problem involving a City of Charlottesville provided utility (i.e. gas smell, water emergency) who do I contact?
Please contact Public Utilities at 434-970-3800.

How do I find out what jobs are open with the City of Charlottesville? How do I apply?
The City of Charlottesville Human Resources Department maintains an up-to-date list of open positions with the city. You can find the current list here. All applications for city jobs must be submitted online. Please follow the instructions to apply here. You may also complete an application at City Hall, 605 E. Main Street. For more information on employment with the City of Charlottesville, please visit the Human Resources Department website or jump directly to the HR FAQ.

Where can I pay a parking citation?
You may pay a parking citation in-person or online.  To pay in-person, please visit the Charlottesville Treasurer’s Office 605 East Main Street. Online payment for citations is available here. Please call 434-970-3146 with any additional questions.

I have a question about the real estate assessment of my property, who should I contact?
The City Assessor is responsible for the valuation of all real estate within the City limits.  Please contact them by phone at 434-970-3136, visit their office on the third floor of City Hall, 605 East Main Street, or visit the FAQ for the office. 

What department handles zoning, building permits, engineering and other issues related to property development?
Please contact Neighborhood Development Services at 434-970-3182.  For more information on the services NDS oversees, please visit the website.

How do I get information on the benefits and services provided by the Charlottesville Department of Social Services (DSS)?
Please visit the DSS website for information on services.

Where can I get copies of Birth, Marriage, or Death Certificates?
Please contact the Virginia Department of Health, Office of Vital Records and Health Statistics. You may reach them by mail at P.O. Box 1000 Richmond, Virginia 23218-1000 or call 804-662-6200. For more information, please visit the VDH Vital Records website.

Where are the City Courts located?
For information about the Charlottesville City Courts, including hours, locations and contact information for the clerks, please visit the courts website.

Where can I get a marriage license?
Marriage licenses are issued by the City of Charlottesville Circuit Court Clerk's Office. The clerk's office is located in the Charlottesville Circuit Courthouse, 315-C East High Street on the lower level. The cost for a license is $30.00. For more information, please call 434-970-3766.

Where are divorce papers filed?
Divorce papers are filed in the City of Charlottesville Circuit Court Clerk's Office. The clerk's office is located in the Charlottesville Circuit Courthouse, 315-C East High Street on the lower level. For more information, please call 434-970-3766.

I am interested in starting a new business in or moving an existing business to Charlottesville, what city department should I contact?
Our Department of Economic Development is available to help with any questions you may have.  Please contact them at 434-970-3110 or visit the Economic Development website.

What is the address and telephone number for the Chamber of Commerce in Charlottesville?
The mailing address for the Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce is P. O. Box 1564 Charlottesville, VA 22902. The chamber may be reached by phone at 434-295-3141 or by email at Please visit the chamber website for additional information.