Route 250 Bypass trail construction to begin June 17
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - - A new section of the 250 bypass bicycle and pedestrian shared use path will begin construction on Monday, June 17. This new trail will connect Hydraulic Road to Meadowbrook Heights Road and western McIntire Park along the north side of the bypass.
The trail is planned to eventually be connected to the YMCA, the new bicycle pedestrian bridge at McIntire Park, and the John Warner Parkway and Schenks Greenway trails. The existing sidewalk will be converted into an asphalt shared use path, and a retaining wall will be constructed under the Dairy Road bridge to support extension of the trail to the intersection with Meadowbrook Heights Road. A crossing island refuge will be constructed at the 250/Meadowbrook Heights Road intersection.
Construction of the project is expected to last about two months with a goal of completion before the next school year begins in late August. This portion of the trail has a cost of approximately $1 million and is funded through the VDOT Transportation Alternatives Program, where the City provides 20 percent of the cost and VDOT/FHWA provide the remaining 80 percent.
The construction entrance at Meadowbrook Heights road will incur temporary closures for traffic entering the 250 bypass from Grove Road side. Detours will be put in place during any closures. The turn lane exiting 250 bypass westbound into the neighborhood will remain open for use except for rare temporary closures if needed. A secondary construction entrance will be installed at the Keith Valley Road dead end adjacent to the bypass. Traffic can use Meadowbrook Heights to King Mountain Road to Brandywine Drive to access Hydraulic Road or can use Dairy Road to Rugby Road to access the 250 bypass near Hydraulic Road.
The project is not expected to impact vehicular traffic on the 250 bypass during construction. Pedestrian traffic along the sidewalk will be temporarily out of service during construction. This project will improve this stretch to ADA accessible standards, and will also allow for legal bicycle use.
Plans can be found at www.charlottesville.org/trails.
Persons with disabilities may request reasonable accommodations by contacting email@example.com or (434) 970-3182.