Candidate Qualifications and Requirements:
Candidates for office must meet certain qualifications and are required to file specific documents in order to qualify to appear on the ballot. These qualifications and requirements may vary slightly depending on whether the office sought is a local office, a general assembly seat, a statewide office, or a federal office. Generally, all candidates must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- be qualified to vote for and hold the office sought and
- be a resident of the Commonwealth Of Virginia for one year immediately preceding the election.
The State Board of Elections has developed and published candidate informational bulletins specific to each office type and election date.
Candidate bulletins are usually posted by the end of the year for offices on the ballot in the next year. If the bulletin has not yet been posted for the office in which you are interested, you may want to look at the most recent archived bulletin (same link below) for a general idea of requirements and dates, but be sure to use the dates and information in the current bulletin once it is available.
- Becoming a Candidate in Virginia
- Candidate Informational Bulletins
- Candidate Forms
- Campaign Finance Reporting - Laws and Summaries
- Campaign Finance Reporting - Forms and Schedule
If you have questions after reviewing the Candidate Bulletin and other information linked at the top of this page, please call the Voter Registration & Elections Office at 434-970-3250 and ask for the General Registrar.