Candidate Qualifications and Requirements:
Candidates for office must meet certain qualifications and are required to file specific documents in order to qualify to appear on the ballot. These qualifications and requirements may vary slightly depending on whether the office sought is a local office, a general assembly seat, a statewide office, or a federal office. Generally, all candidates must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- be qualified to vote for and hold the office sought and
- be a resident of the Commonwealth Of Virginia for one year immediately preceding the election.
The State Board of Elections has developed and published candidate informational bulletins specific to each office type. In addition to the qualifications, forms and filing requirements, candidate information bulletins provide candidates with information he/she will need to run for office.
- Becoming a Candidate in Virginia
- Candidate Informational Bulletins
- Candidate Forms
- Campaign Finance Reporting - Laws and Summaries
- Campaign Finance Reporting - Forms and Schedule
Alternatively, you may contact us to request that a candidate informational bulletin and/or candidate forms be mailed or faxed to you.
SPECIAL ELECTION - SCHOOL BOARD (1 seat) - to serve remainder of a term ending December 31, 2019
On November 6, 2018 there will be a special election to fill a vacancy on the Charlottesville City School Board. The person elected will be sworn and take office after the election is certified by the Electoral Board and the winning candidate qualifies (i.e. files a post-election campaign finance report on activity through Election Day). [Media accounts have said that the winner will take office immediately after the election. It's quick, but not quite that fast. New School Board members normally take office January 1.]
School Board candidates qualify for the ballot as Independents by voter petition and must file the appropriate candidate qualification forms and campaign finance reports. Use the links above, and the 2018 Candidate Bulletin for Local and Constitutional Offices (.pdf).
Pay special attention to the deadlines and required forms. This special election is being held at the first November election after the vacancy occurred, so the filing deadline for all candidate qualifying paperwork is Friday, August 17, 2018 by 5:00 pm. (See the Calendar on the the last page of the bulletin.)
All paperwork is filed in the Charlottesville Voter Registration & Elections Office, 120 7st NE, Room 142, which will stay open until 5:00 pm for the August 17 deadline.
Candidates are encouraged to file earlier. Why?
- It's not difficult. Only 125 verified signatures of Charlottesville-registered voters are required to get on the ballot (along with other required candidate qualifying paperwork - see the Bulletin linked above).
- A recently passed law lists Independent candidates on the ballot in the order in which they file (formerly they were in alphabetical order). See Ch. 537, 2018 Acts of Assembly Once you have at least 125 unverified signatures, you can file.
- The Registrar's Office will review the signatures and tell you how many were verified.
- Candidates who file before the deadline can continue collecting additional signatures (to turn in before the deadline) in case they need more.
If you have questions after reviewing the Candidate Bulletin and other information linked at the top of this page, please call the Voter Registration & Elections Office at 434-970-3250.