Candidate Qualifications and Requirements:
Candidates for office must meet certain qualifications and are required to file specific documents in order to qualify to appear on the ballot. These qualifications and requirements may vary slightly depending on whether the office sought is a local office, a general assembly seat, a statewide office, or a federal office. Generally, all candidates must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- be qualified to vote for and hold the office sought and
- be a resident of the Commonwealth Of Virginia for one year immediately preceding the election.
The State Board of Elections has developed and published candidate informational bulletins specific to each office type. In addition to the qualifications, forms and filing requirements, candidate information bulletins provide candidates with information he/she will need to run for office.
- Becoming a Candidate in Virginia
- Candidate Informational Bulletins
- Candidate Forms
- Campaign Finance Reporting - Laws and Summaries
- Campaign Finance Reporting - Forms and Schedule
Alternatively, you may contact us to request that a candidate informational bulletin and/or candidate forms be mailed or faxed to you.