ELECTORAL BOARD MEETINGS:
Next Election: Tuesday, November 3, 2015
What offices and candidates will be on my ballot? Click here.
All polling places will be open from 6:00 am until 7:00 pm on Election Day.
Last day to register to vote or update registration: October 13 (by 5:00 pm)
Look up your voter registration status and polling place online, apply to register or update your registration at https://www.vote.virginia.gov/.
Absentee Voting for November 3rd election
Absentee voting at the City’s Voter Registration Office in the City Hall Annex will be available September 18 - October 30 during office hours, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday. (The office will be closed for Columbus Day, Monday Oct. 12.)
Absentee voting is also available at the City Voter Registration Office on two Saturdays, October 24 & 31, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. Oct. 31 is the last day for regular absentee voting.
Do you need an absentee ballot mailed to you? (Or emailed or faxed, if you are an absent military or overseas voter?) Your absentee application may be submitted NOW.
The office will start sending out ballots to qualified applicants on September 18. Applications for ballots to be mailed/emailed/faxed must be received by the voter registration office no later than Tuesday, October 27 at 5:00 PM (7 days before election day). But, don’t delay! Your voted ballot must be received by the office by election day or it cannot be counted. Allow plenty of time!
You must be a registered voter in the City of Charlottesville to vote in Charlottesville elections. The office does not have ballots for other localities. Apply to the locality where you reside and are registered.
Voters must present one of the following forms of identification when voting in person:
- Valid Virginia driver’s license or DMV-issued photo identification card
- Valid Virginia DMV-issued Veteran’s ID card
- Valid U.S. Passport
- Employee photo identification card issued by employer in the ordinary course of business
- Other government-issued photo ID card (issued by the U.S. Government, the Commonwealth of Virginia, or a political subdivision of the Commonwealth)
- Virginia College or university student photo ID card
- Virginia Voter Photo ID card issued by any local general registrar’s office
If you don’t have one of these forms of identification please visit your local voter registration office for a free Voter ID card.
Need to Register?
In order to vote in Virginia, you must be registered. The deadline to register to vote is 21 days before most elections. The deadline to register for the November 3, 2015 election is Tuesday, October 13. For specific information about who is eligible to register and vote in Virginia and how you can register to vote, click here.
Already Registered but Moved or Changed Your Name?
If you are already registered but have moved or changed your name you need to update your registration. The deadline to update your registration is the same as that for registering to vote.
Need to Check your Registration?
You can check your voter registration status here to see if you need to register to vote or to update your registration.
Need an Application?
There are several ways to register to vote or update your voter registration:
- Information and registration forms for persons living overseas or in the military are available at www.fvap.gov.
- Residents with a Virginia driver's license or DMV-issued ID card may register online at https://www.vote.virginia.gov/
- Mail in applications are available at http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/Files/Forms/VoterForms/VoterRegistrationApplication.pdf, as well as all City libraries and post offices. DMV and other agencies also have paper applications. A full listing of agencies that have paper applications is available at http://sbe.virginia.gov/index.php/registration/how-to-register/.
- In person at any General Registrar’s office. Our office is located at 120 7th St. NE Rm. 142 and is open Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Please contact us at (434) 970-3250 if you have questions or need assistance.
VOTER REGISTRATION STAFF:
Jim Nix, Chair
Anne Hemenway, Vice Chair
Rick Sincere, Secretary
Lower Level, City Hall Annex
120 7th Street, NE, Rm. 142
Charlottesville, VA 22902
Office of Voter Registration
P.O. Box 911
Charlottesville, VA 22902
(434) 970-3250 - Voice
(434) 970-3249 - Fax
Regular Office Hours - 8:30am - 4:30pm