The City of Charlottesville Code, Chapter 25, Section 25.1 and The Code of Virginia, Section 63.2-305 provide the legal basis for the Department of Social Services Advisory Board activities.
Membership of the board shall consist of nine (9) members appointed by city council, one (1) of whom shall be a member of city council. The term of the city council member shall be concurrent with his or her service on the council. Other appointments shall be for a term of four (4) years each except that appointments to fill vacancies shall be for the unexpired terms. No person shall serve more than two (2) consecutive terms. The director of social services shall be an ex officio member, without vote, of the advisory board. It shall be the policy of the Board to seek to ensure that at all times at least one member is a current or former consumer of the department’s services.
Powers and Duties:
The powers and duties of the advisory board shall be as follows:
- To interest itself in all matters pertaining to the social welfare of the people of the city;
- To monitor the formulation and implementation of social welfare programs in the city;
- To meet with the director of social services at least four (4) times a year for the purpose of making recommendations on policy matters concerning the department of social services;
- To make an annual report to city council, concurrent with the presentation of the annual budget, concerning the information of public welfare programs;
- To submit to city council from time to time other reports that the advisory board deems appropriate;
- To perform such other functions as may be from time to time prescribed for such boards by Code of Virginia, section 63.2-305
All meetings are open to the public.
Unless otherwise noted, meetings are held on the fourth Monday of the month from 12:00-1:30 p.m. in the city hall basement conference room.
The 2017 meeting schedule is as follows:
Monday, January 23, 2017
Monday, February 27, 2017
Monday, March 27, 2017
Monday, April 24, 2017
Monday, May 22, 2017
Monday, June 26, 2017
Monday, July 24, 2017 - Meeting is Cancelled
Monday, August 28, 2017
Monday, September 25, 2017
Monday, October 23, 2017
Monday, November 27, 2017
Monday, December 25, 2017
For more information concerning the advisory board, please contact us at:
Department of Social Services Advisory Board
P.O. Box 911
Charlottesville, VA 22902
Telephone: (434) 970-3400