The Housing Advisory Committee (HAC) provides City Council with recommendations regarding housing policy and affordable housing funding priorities. HAC members also research and discuss trends and ideas in affordable housing across the state and nation, and identifies ways Charlottesville can implement some of those new ideas here. A list of current HAC members can be found HERE.
Charge of the Housing Advisory Committee:
- Explore barriers to and incentives for the creation of affordable housing within a market driven, private sector context.
- Review the affordable housing policies of Albemarle County and other jurisdictions in the region and coordinate where possible.
- Reexamine what is in place today and whether it is working.
- Ask what changes are needed to make things work better in Charlottesville.
- Review funding for housing trust and recommend to Council amounts and methods of funding annually.
- Prepare an annual report on the number of new units created and numbers that were affordable.
- Review sale trends to point out issues.
- Suggest new policies that will assist in creating affordable units.
- Continue to refine the definition of affordable.
- Annually review the “need” in our community.
- Meet quarterly to discuss these issues.
- Conduct an annual housing forum to review progress on achieving goals, to identify problems and opportunities, and to educate the community.
- Annually develop affordable housing goals based on documented need/demand.
- Update annually affordability figures based on median income figures provided by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The HAC meets quarterly in February, May, August and November of each year with subcommittee meetings in the intervening months. Meetings are held the third Wednesday of the month in the Neighborhood Development Services (NDS) Conference Room, located on the second floor of City Hall. Please see the HAC Meeting Schedule below for specific dates and times. All HAC meetings are open to the public.
Housing Advisory Committee Meeting Schedule 2017
All meetings are held from 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
in the NDS Conference Room
2nd Floor, City Hall
Quarterly meetings dates for the full HAC:
February 15, 2017 (1st Quarter)
May 17, 2017 (2nd Quarter)
August 16, 2017 (3rd Quarter)
November 15, 2017 (4th Quarter)
Potential Subcommittee meeting dates (advance notice will be provided):
January 18, 2017
March 15, 2017
April 19, 2017
June 21, 2017
July 19, 2017
September 20, 2017
October 18, 2017
December 20, 2017
Meeting Notices, Minutes and Materials: