The Rugby Road-University Corner Historic District
The Rugby Road-University Corner District was designated on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1983 and the National Register in 1984. This area did not develop until after the 1890’s and provided the setting for a growing number of academic and professional families to develop substantial family homes on the then-rural western edge of the City. The District was originally settled primarily by University professors and local professionals, constructing many examples of outstanding architecture in the Arts and Crafts styles (Queen Anne, Stick, and Bungalow) and the revival styles (Georgian, Colonial, Roman, and Greek). Several were designed by the prominent early twentieth-century local architect Eugene Bradbury. The majority of the houses on Rugby Road and Madison Lane are currently occupied by fraternities and sororities. Approximately twenty of these houses were rehabilitated in the early 1980’s, taking advantage of the federal tax credit incentives made available to properties located in National Register Districts. Many of the district’s commercial buildings located along University Avenue were built in the 1920’s or their facades were substantially rehabilitated during that decade of growth for the University community.
The Rugby Road - University Corner District is also part of a local Architectural Design Control District. For more information on ADC districts, click here.