McIntire's Park Campaign

Print

Coming soon!

In 1918, Charlottesville native and philanthropist Paul Goodloe McIntire donated land to create Jackson Park. McIntire demolished the existing McKee Block buildings to expand Court Square into the rectangular park it is today.

Park creation and public art were common elements of the City Beautiful movement in the late 1800s and early 1900s. In keeping with this national trend of beautifying urban areas, the Charlottesville Chamber of Commerce promoted demolition of Court Square law offices in 1921 to provide the Courthouse with a park-like setting.

McIntire hired New York sculptor Charles Keck to design a statue of Confederate Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson and his horse "Little Sorrel." The statue's base represents the allegories of Faith and Valor. In October 1921, thousands gathered for the parade and dedication of the Jackson monument, which occurred during a Confederate Veterans reunion.

In addition to Jackson Park, McIntire also created Lee, Belmont, Washington, and McIntire Parks and funded the Public Library (now the Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society). McIntire also donated the West Main Street statues of George Rogers Clark (the University of Virginia now owns Clark Park) and Lewis, Clark, and Sacajawea.