The name Jefferson School
has a long association with African American education in
. It was first used in the 1860s in a Freedmen's Bureau school and then for a public grade school by 1894.
opened here in 1926 as the city's first high school for blacks, an early accredited black high school in Virginia. The facility became
in 1951. In 1958, some current and former
students requested transfers to two white schools. The state closed the two white schools. Their reopening in 1959 began the process of desegregation in Charlottesville.
housed many different educational programs after integrating in 1965.
Marker at the intersection of Commerce and 4th Street NW