Maplewood Cemetery

Print

Maplewood Cemetery

Maplewood Sign (2) Maplewood Sign (1)


Charlottesville's oldest public cemetery was established in 1827 on 3.6 acres that were once part of a 1735 Nicholas Meriwether land grant. The cemetery is the final resting place of many notable residents, among them Charlottesville benefactor Paul Goodloe McIntire. Although originally  designated as a cemetery for white persons, African Americans are buried here, including civil rights activist  Fairfax Taylor, who lobbied for equality after the Civil War for freed slaves like himself. Civil War veterans buried here include Brigadier Generals John Marshall Jones and Armistead Lindsay Long, and Colonel John Bowie Strange. Other soldiers' graves illustrate Charlottesville's role as a Confederate Hospital during the Civil War. Maplewood's oldest gravestone, that of Letitia Shelby, was one of the several older stones relocated here from a Park Street burying ground. The mother of Kentucky's first governor, Letitia died in 1777 while visiting relatives in Albemarle County. Gravestone motifs and morphologies highlight changing funerary practices over the past two centuries. The arrangement of  gravesites is linear, but interspersed trees and shrubs and lack of formal paths recall earlier, informal family burying grounds. Maplewood Cemetery is a contributing site in the Martha Jefferson Historic District, listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 2007 and on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.