- Both parties need to be simultaneously present when the application is made although there is a special process available when one of the parties is incarcerated.
- Both parties should have a valid, non-expired government issued photo ID such as a driver’s license, passport, or DMV issued ID card to present upon request.
- $30 fee payable by cash or check/money made payable to the City of Charlottesville Circuit Court.
Please note that the license must be used/"Certified" by the Officiant within sixty (60) calendar days from issuance or the license will become void so you should not obtain a Marriage license unless you plan to get married within the next sixty (60) days from the date of issuance.Marriage licenses are issued Monday - Friday, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. at the Clerk’s Office where it will take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete the form at our Marriage Computer Kiosk followed by a review of the application and administration of the required oath by a member of our staff. You should plan to arrive by 4:15 pm to allow sufficient time to complete the process.
- There are no residency requirements and couples may purchase their marriage license at any Circuit Court in Virginia.
- The marriage ceremony must be performed in Virginia within 60 days after the license is issued. There is no waiting period required between application and issuance of the license and a couple may be married immediately after the issuance of a license.
- No blood test is required.
- For divorced persons, there is no statutory waiting period before marriage after the divorce is granted. A copy of divorce decree is not required.
Our office does not provide "Justice of the Peace" services at the Courthouse for immediate unions nor maintain a list of "Civil Officiants". You may contact the City of Charlottesville Sheriff's Office at 434-970-3777 if you do not have an "officiant" and desire to to have them officiate your marriage.
Required For Marriage Licenses
- Full name
- Age and Date of birth
- Place of birth (state or foreign country)
- Number of this marriage (first, second, third, etc)
- Marital status (widowed or divorced, if previously married)
- Education (highest grade completed)
- Names of both parents (first, middle, and maiden/last)