Police Civilian Review Board

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

On December 18, 2017, City Council approved the creation of the Police Civilian Review Board.  Click here to view the resolution.


The initial Police Civilian Review Board (CRB) is tasked with drafting bylaws, which shall address matters including, but not limited to: 

  • Defining the CRB's proposed mission; 
  • Proposing CRB membership, including number of members, representation, membership criteria and length of term; 
  • Researching, documenting and incorporating best practices for independent civilian review boards, including but not limited to working with such groups as the National Association for Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement (NACOLE);
  • Creating guidelines or a Memorandum of Understanding for effectively interacting with the Chief of Police;
  • Defining an effective and cooperative structure for CRB review of police actions;
  • Developing procedures for reviewing police matters, including but not limited to investigative detention reports, use-of-force incidents, and internal affairs appeals;
  • Implementing mechanisms for reporting out findings, including a quarterly report delivered to Council;
  • Seeking input from the City Attorney, Commonwealth’s Attorney, and the Chief of Police as to whether or not special enabling legislation and ordinances are required, and to ensure legal constraints, liability concerns, and privacy issues are properly addressed;
  • Providing appropriate CRB member training; and
  • Recommending level of City staff support for the CRB


Council will appoint 7 initial members that reflect the community on the whole, inclusive of members of minority and low wealth communities and members who have direct experience with past and current Charlottesville Police Department (CPD) policing practices. 

Initial Term:

1 year



Gloria Beard Josh Bowers Dan Brown
Evan Brown Sarah Burke Jose Cuenca
Ian Dickinson Jeff Fogel Don Gathers
Kathryn Gehred Juan Gonzalez Maggie Harden
Joyce Hillstrom Creighton McEleney Rosia Y. Parker
Helen Plainsance James "JP" Roberts Keith Robertson
Lewis Savarese Kristin Schroeder Megan Selvage
James Shea Jr. Katrina Turner Guillermo Ubilla
Victoria Valdes


UPDATE: Of the 25 applications received, Council has selected the 17 applicants who are City residents to participate in the Civilian Review Board Community Forum, which has been scheduled for Tuesday, April 24 from 5:30 - 8:45 p.m.  at the Jefferson School African American Heritage Center.  

Gloria Beard Josh Bowers Evan Brown
Sarah Burke Ian Dickinson- Withdrew Jeff Fogel
Don Gathers Juan Gonzalez Maggie Harden
Joyce Hillstrom Rosia Y. Parker Helen Plainsance
Kristin Schroeder - withdrew Megan Selvage Guillermo Ubilla
James Shea Jr. Katrina Turner  


The format for the CRB Community Forum is as follows:

Police Civilian Review Board Community Forum

Facilitators:  Mr. Bob Garrity & Ms. Mitsuko Clemmons-Nazeer

5:30 p.m.             Welcome / Brief Introduction                      Forum Facilitators

5:45 p.m.             Opening Statements                                      CRB Applicants

6:15 p.m.             Community Q&A                                         Attendees / CRB Applicants / Forum Facilitator

8:15 p.m.             Conclusion / Open Social                             Attendees / CRB Applicants
                            (Refreshments provided)

Further updates will be posted to this webpage, including CRB Experts and Facilitator bios, applicant bios, and more.  If you have feedback on this process, please email the Clerk of Council.