The City provides a wide variety of Boards and Commissions that encourage members to participate in discussions that affect and shape the future of our City. We believe it is not only the right, but the responsibility of interested and capable citizens to become engaged in local government policy by advising the Mayor and City Council on important community-related issues. Serving on a Board or Commission is an excellent way to make a personal contribution to Charlottesville's growth and can be a rewarding experience for everyone!
The deadline to submit an application is February 7, 2018, unless otherwise noted.
City Council is currently accepting applications for the following openings:
- Board of Architectural Review (Owner of a business or commercial property in a design control district representative and Architect Representative) (posted 11/7/17; Deadline for this board is January 4, 2018)
- Building Code Board of Appeals (posted 4/26/17; open until filled)
- Citizen's Police Advisory Panel (Citizen Representative and Youth Representative) (posted 8/30/17; open until filled)
- Community Development Block Grant Task Force (Rose Hill Neighborhood Representative) (posted 10/10/17; open until filled)
- Community Policy and Management Team (Private Provider Representative and Parent Representative positions open) (posted 4/5/16; open until filled)
- Housing Advisory Committee (Neighborhood Association Representative) (posted 9/6/17; open until filled)
- JAUNT Board of Directors (City Representative) (posted 11/29/17; open until filled)
- Jefferson Area Board for Aging Advisory Council (City Resident) (posted 11/21/17; open until filled)
- Parking Advisory Board (posted 9/12/17; open until filled)
- Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee (posted 11/21/17; open until filled)
- Personnel Appeal Board (posted 9/12/17; open until filled)
- Piedmont Family YMCA Board of Directors (City Representative) (posted 10/5/17; open until filled)
- PLACE Design Task Force (Arts Representative) ( posted 10/24/17; open until filled)
- Retirement Commission (Citizen Representative) (posted 9/26/17)
- Rivanna River Basin Commission (Citizen Representative) (posted 6/8/17; open until filled)
- Sister Cities Commission (At-Large Representative and Youth Representative) (posted 10/12/17; open until filled)
- Social Services Advisory Board (posted 4/18/17; open until filled)
- Towing Advisory Board (Citizen Representative positions open) (posted 5/15/16; open until filled)
- Vendor Appeals Board (posted 8/30/15; open until filled)
CLICK HERE to download an application to serve on a board or commission.
Once you have downloaded and filled out the application form, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send via mail to P.O. Box 911, Charlottesville, VA, 22902, ATTN: Clerk of Council - Boards & Commissions.
For more information about Boards and Commissions, please e-mail email@example.com or call the Clerk of Council's office at 434-970-3113.
Applications will be considered on a regularly scheduled Council meeting date (first and third Mondays) after opening has been posted for a minimum of 30 days, unless a deadline is posted otherwise. Preference is given to residents of the City of Charlottesville.