Martha Jefferson

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

About Our Neighborhood

MJH Logo

The Martha Jefferson Neighborhood is located in the eastern section of the city, in close proximity to the Downtown Mall. Within the area there are several identifiable and distinct neighborhoods. The Martha Jefferson Area is concentrated immediately around the Martha Jefferson Hospital as well as areas to the west of the hospital. The Little High Street Area is located south of High Street and West of 10th Street. The Burnley-Moran Area is located east of Locust Avenue and is centered around Burnley-Moran Elementary School.

A variety of historic places are present in this area. “The Farm” is an historic house, which dates from 1825. Locust Grove is an historic structure located at 810 Locust Avenue, built c. 1840 on a 500-acre subdivision of “The Farm.” The Historic Maplewood Cemetery is just outside the neighborhood to the west, with graves dating from the 1840’s. Taylor Walk, at Martha Jefferson Hospital, commemorates Fairfax Taylor, the first African American property owner in the area.

The Martha Jefferson Hospital is the major center of activity and employment, including a number of doctor’s offices and a research center. High Street is a commercial corridor and both East High Street and Locust Avenue are entranceways into Downtown.

Membership

Please contact the treasurer, Mary Odell, at her e-mail address, if you wish to become a member.  Dues are $10 for two years, per household.

 PRESS HERE to visit the Martha Jefferson Neighborhood Association web site. 

Martha Jefferson Neighborhood is on the National Register of Historic Districts 

Our neighborhood has been added to the National and State Registers of Historic Districts. To view documentation and descriptions of relevant houses in our neighborhood, go to this link (at the City's Historic Preservation and Design Planning site): 

http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=2369

Maplewood Cemetery

Please visit this link to an important part of the MJN Historic District:

http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=1566