About Our Neighborhood
The majority of housing in the neighborhood is single-family. Although the older houses in the neighborhood were built as a part of the Locust Grove subdivision in the 1890’s, the majority of the neighborhood development was constructed between 1940 and 1970. St. Charles Place, which completed construction in 2008, is the newest residential section of the neighborhood.
As late as the 1950’s, a rural flavor was seen in the remaining dirt roads, barns and open space in the neighborhood. In the 1960’s the Rt. 250 Bypass was constructed, which changed the identity of the neighborhood. Prior to the construction of the Bypass, Watson Avenue was once a main thoroughfare for travelers heading east from Charlottesville across the Free Bridge towards Richmond. Historic Enderly, on Watson Avenue, was once used as a “tourist home” and provided lodging for travelers.
River Road is a commercial and industrial area on the eastern edge of the neighborhood, with Long Street providing other commercial services. Locust Grove’s natural and recreational resources include McIntire and Pen Parks, an extensive walking trail through the neighborhood along the Rivanna River and Meadow Creek. Northeast Park is a neighborhood meeting place in the center of the community. The pedestrian bridge connecting Northeast Park with the neighborhood is also a valued resource.