*NOTICE OF MEETING*
Human Rights Commission Regular Meeting
Thursday, February 19th, 2015 from 7pm-9pm. This meeting will be held at City Space which is located near the downtown mall.
The Office of Human Rights is the home of the Human Rights Commission The Human Rights Commission is a volunteer group charged with promoting and enforcing the Human Rights Ordinance for the City of Charlottesville.
- Identifying and reviewing policies and practices of the City of Charlottesville and its boards and commissions and other public agencies within the city.
- Collaborating with the public and private sectors to provide awareness, education and guidance on methods to prevent and eliminate discrimination citywide.
- Assisting individuals who believe they are the victim of an act of unlawful discrimination within the city.
- The Commission will serve as a forum for the discussion of human rights issues, and be responsible for conducting ongoing efforts to engage community members in an open, honest and creative dialogue regarding issues of equity and opportunity, including but not limited to issues considered by the City's Dialogue on Race initiative.
CHARLOTTESVILLE'S HUMAN RIGHTS ORDINANCE PROVIDES THAT:
“It shall be unlawful and a violation of this article for any person, partnership, corporation or other entity to engage in discrimination in housing, employment, public accommodations, credit, and education on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, national origin, age, marital status or disability."
Under the Human Rights Ordinance, the term "unlawful discriminatory practice" includes conduct in violation of any comparable Virginia or federal statute or regulation governing unlawful discrimination.
WHAT THE OFFICE OF HUMAN RIGHTS CAN DO FOR YOU IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE BEEN DISCRIMINATED AGAINST
If you believe you have been subjected to an unlawful discriminatory practice, you may do any of the following:
- Call the Office of Human Rights at 434-970-3023
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Print and fill out the Complaint Form and either mail it to Office of Human Rights, PO Box 911, Charlottesville, VA 22902 or bring it in person to the Office of Human Rights, 106 5th Street NE, Charlottesville, VA 22902
All inquiries by phone or email to the Office of Human Rights are protected by law from disclosure to outside parties without your express permission, so any contact you may have with this office will be kept confidential.
Upon receipt of notification of a possible violation of the HRO, this Office will contact you for further details, including having you fill out an intake questionnaire to help us understand the basis for your complaint. In cases where your complaint appears not to be covered under the HRO, it will be referred to an appropriate outside organization or agency that may be able to assist you with your issue. If it appears that the practice complained of may be covered under the HRO, this Office will investigate further to see if there is reasonable cause to believe a violation occurred. At any time during the process, you, as the complainant, and the respondent –the party whose conduct you are complaining about—may both voluntarily agree to resolve the issue through private, confidential mediation. This Office is fully committed to conciliation as an alternative resolution to public hearings or lawsuits.