1/1/1856: The Albemarle Female Institute opened to provide academic opportunities for females as those received by males.
1/2/1878: An announcement appeared in the Jeffersonian-Republican that a demonstration of Alexander Graham Bell’s telephone would be held at Town Hall the following night.
1/3/1931: Staige Davis Blackford is born in Charlottesville, Virginia.
1/4/1822: The Eagle Tavern, also known as Court Square Tavern, was bought, renovated, and reopened by John G. Wright.
1/5/1940: Helen Keller stopped briefly in Charlottesville and also visited Monticello.
1/6/1922: The statue of George Rodgers Clark was unveiled by sculptor Robert Ingersoll Aitkin.
1/7/1921: The 1,000 seat Lafayette Theater opened on Main Street in Charlottesville.
1/8/1867: The Charlottesville and University Temperance Councils were formed.
1/9/1779: Congress adopted the Regiment of Guard that modified the Virginia unit at the Albemarle Barracks in Charlottesville.
1/10/1999: The Santa Fund announced that it had a record number of donations for 1998.
1/11/1803: President Thomas Jefferson appointed future President James Monroe special envoy to France.
1/12/1895: The Charlottesville City and Suburban Railway Co. operated the City’s first electric
1/13/1912: The last performance was held at the Levy Opera House by the Imperial Russian Ballet.
1/14/1992: Strong winds took down trees and power lines across the area.
1/15/1890: The University of Virginia student newspaper debuted under the name College Topics.
1/16/1779: The first division of British POWs arrived in Charlottesville to be held at the “barracks” which is the present day Barrack’s Road area.
1/17/1993: President-elect Bill Clinton stopped in Charlottesville and spoke at Monticello on his way to Washington, D.C.
1/18/1935: The Charlottesville Volunteer Fire Department celebrated its 50th anniversary.
1/19/1801: Charlottesville was incorporated as a town.
1/20/1941: A five-story addition was opened at the University of Virginia Hospital.
1/21/1838: The Charlottesville savings institution was incorporated.
1/22/1926: Paul Goodloe McIntire donated land that would be used for Washington and McIntire Parks.
1/23/1928: The Federal Radio Commission granted WRCV permission to transfer operations from Norfolk to the University of Virginia.
1/24/1980: The Women’s Forum named Kay Peaslee, editor of the Charlottesville Observer, Woman of the Year.
1/25/1819: The University of Virginia’s Charter was granted by the Virginia General Assembly.
1/26/1999: The Albemarle County School Board approved a policy to govern charter schools.
1/27/1917: A fire broke out and destroyed the chemical laboratory at the University of Virginia.
1/28/1983: Carrie Buck died in a nursing home in Waynesboro and was buried next to her husband in Oakwood Cemetery in Charlottesville.
1/29/1820: The first issue of the first newspaper of Charlottesville, The Central Gazette was published.
1/30/1893: Natalie Floyd Otey performed at the Levy Opera House singing a song specifically about Charlottesville called “Wa-Hoo-Wa.”
1/31/1829: The Charlottesville Debating Society was organized.
2/1/1770: A fire destroyed Thomas Jefferson’s family home in Shadwell.
2/2/1981: The Central Library branch opened at the site of the former Market Street Post Office.
2/3/1866: The Charlottesville City Council ordered the town sergeant to place street signs on each corner.
2/4/1974: Charlottesville and Albemarle were named National Bicentennial communities by the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration in Washington D.C.
2/5/1918: The first labor disturbance occurred since opening in 1867 at the Charlottesville Woolen Mills.
2/6/1936: The Charlottesville and Albemarle Bus Company was chartered, ending 48 years of street rail operation.
2/7/2002: The Hook debuted as the newest Charlottesville weekly newspaper.
2/8/1901: Pulitzer prize-winning Virginius Dabney is born at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.
2/9/1895: A fire destroyed the interior of Grace Church, it was renovated two months later.
2/10/1905: The last person to be legally hung in Charlottesville was former Mayor Sam McCue.
2/11/1899: A blizzard buried the City under 20 foot snowdrifts.
2/12/1937: Mayor W. Dan Haden announced that April 13, Thomas Jefferson’s birthday, would be an annual local holiday.
2/13/1958: The Albemarle County School Board announced an end to non-county residents paying tuition to attend County schools.
2/14/1826: Edgar Allen Poe enrolled at the University of Virginia.
2/15/1969: The Board of Visitors at the University of Virginia voted to lift all restrictions regarding the admission of women into the University, the following fall 450 women were registered for classes.
2/16/1887: Vaudeville and Broadway actress Kathleen Clifford was born in Charlottesville.
2/17/1999: Charlottesville Firefighters gave the Charlottesville City Council a firsthand demonstration of a thermal imaging camera.
2/18/1929: A Charlottesville resident was fined $250 and a 90 day jail term for selling liquor.
2/19/1931: City Manager, M.A. Yancey announced that the city would install a pump in Mechum’s River to forestall future water shortages.
2/20/1906: A Southern Railway mail clerk was seriously injured after being dragged by a moving train as it left the Charlottesville Depot.
2/21/1886: Robert P. Valentine petitioned the City for a franchise to operate a street rail from Main St to the University.
2/22/2008: For the first time in 22 years, Van Halen performed with original lead singer David Lee Roth, at the John Paul Jones arena.
2/23/1991: The University of University Women’s Basketball team was undefeated in the ACC conference after winning over North Carolina.
2/24/1898: Samuel McCue was re-elected as the Mayor of Charlottesville.
2/25/1854: The first mayoral election was held in Charlottesville, Drury Wood won with 75 votes.
2/26/1861: Students broke into the UVA Rotunda and raised the Confederate flag on the lightning rod, University faculty removed the flag later that day.
2/27/2011: Charlottesville was again chosen as one of 50 cities to hold a local benefit with the Academy Awards called Oscar Night America.
2/28/1956: The history of the Midway School was published in an article in the Daily Progress.
2/29/1864: The Skirmish at Rio Hill was the only “battle” to be fought in the vicinity of Charlottesville during the Civil War.
3/1/1901: The University of Virginia Hospital was opened with 25 beds.
3/2/1827: The Rivanna Navigation Company was chartered to build a canal from Moore’s Creek to the James River.
3/3/1865: Charlottesville was captured by 10,000 Federal forces under Union General Philip Sheridan.
3/4/1880: The James River and Kanawha Company was merged with the Richmond and Allegheny Railroad.
3/5/1960: Charlottesville was hit by a cold wave as temperature fell to 14 degrees.
3/6/1976: The University of Virginia’s Men’s Basketball team won their first ACC conference tournament.
3/7/1825: Classes began at the University of Virginia with 68 students in attendance.
3/8/1939: The first Parent Teacher Association in the area is formed at the McGuffey School.
3/9/1942: Southeast tobacco growers met at the Monticello Hotel with federal officials to discuss policies and problems they faced.
3/10/1978: The University of Virginia Medical School was ranked 33.
3/11/1973: WVIR debuted as Charlottesville’s first local television news station.
3/12/1772: John Day purchased lot 52, 1 half acre at the corner of Water and First streets to set up a blacksmith shop, Thomas Jefferson was a client.
3/13/1900: A fire broke out at a building on Second and Water Street that housed the Michie Publishing Company.
3/14/1983: The University of Virginia’s Ralph Sampson is named for the third year in a row, ACC Basketball player of the year.
3/15/1969: The present City Hall was opened at 605 E. Market Street.
3/16/1974: Undersecretary of State William J. Casey spoke at the University of Virginia Law School.
3/17/1964: Actor Rob Lowe was born in Charlottesville.
3/18/1856: The Charlottesville and University Gas-Light Corporation was chartered.
3/19/1869: Former President Andrew Johnson gave a speech to students at the University of Virginia.
3/20/1942: Charlottesville scheduled a city wide black out to conserve resources and materials.
3/21/1879: Jefferson Levy bought Monticello for $10,050.
3/22/1949: Poet W.H. Auden opened a series of lectures at the University of Virginia.
3/23/1933: Michie Tavern was robbed at night, around $1500 worth of items were stolen.
3/24/1984: The University of Virginia Men’s Basketball defeated Indiana and made it to the Final Four for the second time.
3/25/1963: Martian Luther King Jr. gave a speech at Cabell Hall at the University of Virginia.
3/26/2007: The new Charlottesville Transit Center was opened at the end of the Downtown Mall.
3/28/1871: Charlottesville received a new charter from the State.
3/29/1853: University of Virginia student, John S. Mosby was arrested for shooting a fellow student.
3/30/1995: The Virginia Festival of the Book premiered; it is now in its 18th year.
3/31/2004: Charlottesville was rated as the # 1 Best City to live in by Bert Sperling and Peter Sander in their book Cities Ranked and Rated.
4/1/1906: The Charlottesville Post Office and Federal Building opened on East Market Street. The Post Office on the main floor and the court house on the second; is now home to the Central Branch of the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library.
4/2/1894: Frederick Douglas gave a lecture at the First Baptist Church on West Main Street.
4/3/1829: Classes resumed at the University of Virginia after a two month suspension due to a typhoid epidemic.
4/4/1940: The first meeting of the Albemarle-Charlottesville Historical Society was held.
4/5/1917: The Charlottesville Elks Lodge No. 389, passed a resolution supporting President Woodrow Wilson’s declaration of war against Germany.
4/6/1912: A flight exhibition was given by Beckwith Havens at Lambeth Field, he flew a Curtis Bi-plane that reached 1800 feet.
4/7/1917: Over 600 undergraduates enrolled in military and sciences courses at the University of Virginia.
4/8/1926: The Monticello Hotel opened in Charlottesville, across the street from the Albemarle County Court House.
4/9/1972: John Stewart Battle, the 56th Governor of Virginia, died in Charlottesville.
4/10/1861: University of Virginia professor, George Tucker, died from injuries sustained from being struck by a falling cotton bale three months earlier.
4/11/1953: The University of Virginia Hospital received the first air shipment of blood from Washington, D.C.
4/12/1993: Former Soviet Union President, Mikhail Gorbachev came to town to celebrate the 250th birthday of Thomas Jefferson.
4/13/1743: Thomas Jefferson was born in Shadwell.
4/14/1913: First meeting of the Monticello Association was held at the Colonial Hotel in Charlottesville.
4/15/2011: Teresa A. Sullivan was sworn in as the 8th President of the University of Virginia, and the first female President of the University.
4/16/1966: The Vietnam Memorial was dedicated at the 1966 Dogwood Festival.
4/17/1993: Filmmaker Spike Lee addressed a crowd at the University of Virginia.
4/18/1990: A fire that broke out in the Varsity Apartments was deemed suspicious.
4/19/1965: The Charlottesville City Council voted to pass a two percent city sales tax.
4/20/1863: The March 16 petition by black congregants of Charlottesville's First
Baptist Church to establish the Charlottesville African Church was accepted by white
4/21/1779: 186 citizens signed a declaration of independence showing their unity against the British and renouncing all ties to King George III.
4/22/1960: Pulitzer prize-winning James Reston spoke at the University of Virginia.
4/23/1971: Miss America, Phyllis George, visited Charlottesville for the Dogwood Festival.
4/24/1960: A Garden Week information center was set up at the Monticello Hotel.
4/25/1883: The annual running of the Charlottesville Derby was won by the horse Manhattan.
4/26/1920: The Blue Ridge Sanatorium was opened.
4/27/1860: The City Council ordered property owners to pave sidewalks adjoining their property with either brick or slate.
4/28/1901: President William McKinley stopped via train in Charlottesville and gave a speech to students on the station’s platform.
4/29/1978: The first annual Foxfield Races are held.
4/30/1957: A ten day campaign to discover cases of tuberculosis began when those over 40 were urged to get a chest x-ray.
4/31/1979: Charlottesville was selected as an All American City for 1978-79 by the National Municipal League.
5/1/1996: The Charlottesville Ice Park was opened.
5/2/2002: Virginia governor Mark Warner apologized for Virginia's eugenics program, and a state historic highway marker in Charlottesville was dedicated to Buck v. Bell.
5/3/1929: The first moving picture was shown in Charlottesville.
5/4/1948: The University of Virginia student newspaper, College Topics, was renamed The Cavalier Daily.
5/5/1817: The Albemarle Agricultural Society was created with James Madison as its President.
5/6/1935: The Charlottesville City Council rejected a proposal to annex 1500 acres of land in the Belmont and Fifeville areas of the County.
5/7/1908: Teddy Roosevelt arrived in Charlottesville on his way to Pine Knot.
5/8/1972: Anna Anderson, the most well-known Anastasia impersonator arrived in Charlottesville.
5/9/1857: The Monticello Guard military unit was organized.
5/10/1946: Due to a national coal strike, local businesses and stores closed for power rationing.
5/11/1991: The first performance by the Dave Matthews Band took place at a private party on the rooftop of the South Street Warehouse.
5/12/1856: The first fire company of Charlottesville was organized.
5/13/1947: The White House announced that President Truman would speak that the Thomas Jefferson Foundation on July 4th.
5/14/1865: The 11th Pennsylvania Calvary rode in to Charlottesville and began military occupation of Albemarle County following the Civil War.
5/15/1927: Farmington Country Club was opened.
5/16/1964: Boyd Tinsley was born in Charlottesville.
5/17/1967: The Charlottesville City Council approved the first of three public housing sites in the City.
5/18/1960: The Thomas Jefferson “American Credo” stamp went on sale for the first time and debuted in Charlottesville.
5/19/1895: The 4th annual Virginia State Pharmaceutical Convention was held in town.
5/20/1937: 50 weavers of the William J. Schepp Silk Mills on Rose Hill went on strike for higher wages.
5/21/1924: The statue of Robert E. Lee was unveiled by sculptor Leo Lentelli.
5/22/1955: The cornerstone was laid at the Charlottesville Presbyterian Church on Park Street.
5/23/1969: The Charlottesville School Board voted to ban the controversial student publication, the Blast, at Lane High school.
5/24/1942: According to Sheriff J. Mason Smith, for the first time in 4 decades, there were no prisoners in the Albemarle County Jail.
5/25/1888: A municipal election was held to elect the first Commonwealth’s Attorney, Treasurer, Sergeant, Commissioner of Revenue, Justice of the Peace, and a Constable for Charlottesville.
5/26/1918: An announcement was made that Charlottesville and Albemarle topped the Second War Fund Drive of the American Red Cross.
5/27/1937: After a 7 day strike, workers returned to the Schepp Silk Mills.
5/28/1923: A concert was held in Lee Park by the Charlottesville Municipal Band and the City was formally awarded control of the Band.
5/29/1781: The Virginia Legislature met in Charlottesville after Richmond was deemed unsafe from advancing British troops.
5/30/1921: The Charlottesville Public Library opened with 5,000 books and the help of Paul Goodloe McIntire.
5/31/1966: An earthquake measuring a 4 on the Richter scale was felt by Charlottesvillians, and as far north as Washington, DC, and as far south as Williamsburg.
6/1/1912: Charlottesville drivers were required to obtain a permit to operate automobiles on city streets.
6/2/1800: Nicholas Trist, author of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, was born in Charlottesville.
6/3/1781: British Colonel Banastre Tarleton rode in to Albemarle County intent on capturing the Virginia Legislature, but was too late. He did hold Daniel Boone for a brief period before releasing him.
6/4/1781: Jack Jouett rode to warn the Virginia Legislature meeting at Monticello of the British advance on Charlottesville.
6/5/1917: 1,038 men in Charlottesville registered for the draft two months after the U.S. declared war.
6/6/1932: The Charlottesville City Council amended the city code to include the creation of a City Manager to take effect July 15.
6/7/1893: The Confederate Monument and University of Virginia Cemetery was unveiled. There are approximately 1100 Confederate soldiers buried at the University.
6/8/1922: Sarah Ruth Dean is the first woman to graduate from the University of Virginia School of Medicine.
6/9/1970: Charles Barbour and Francis Fife were elected to the Charlottesville City Council.
6/10/1940: President Franklin D. Roosevelt spoke at the Commencement Exercises of the University of Virginia.
6/11/1976: An Air Advisory was issued by the Virginia State Air Pollution Control Board.
6/12/1950: The Albemarle house of Lady Astor was sold.
6/13/1938: Alderman Library was dedicated at the University of Virginia.
6/14/1887: For the first time horse drawn streetcar service appeared in Charlottesville.
6/15/1898: James Lindsay Almond Jr. was born in Charlottesville.
6/16/1903: President Theodore Roosevelt spoke at the University of Virginia.
6/17/1903: Jefferson Levy at Monticello was visited by Teddy Roosevelt on horseback from Charlottesville.
6/18/1948: A committee was formed to coordinate salvaging rubber as part of the war time effort.
6/19/1954: Pulitzer prize-winning Don Whitehead spoke at the University of Virginia.
6/20/1999: Over 100 people squeezed into the Charlottesville City Council chambers to discuss the Meadowcreek Parkway.
6/21/1996: The 1996 Olympic Torch passed through Charlottesville on its way to Atlanta.
6/22/1961: Claude A. Jessup and John G. Hundly were elected to head the Charlottesville bicentennial commission, the commission opened an office at 405 Third Street NE.
6/23/1947: Former Governor Colgate W. Darden became over President of the University of Virginia.
6/24/1889: Henry Grady, journalist and orator, spoke to his alma mater, the University of Virginia.
6/25/1960: The nuclear reactor at the University of Virginia began operation.
6/26/1946: Rent Control was reinstated 6 months after it had expired.
6/27/1850: In the early morning hours, a train passed through Charlottesville for the first time.
6/28/1889: The city of Charlottesville and the County of Albemarle agreed to terms on “matters of joint concern,” of which the first issue was the use of the court house.
6/29/1988: Bibb’s Fish Market closed after 60 years of business on the Downtown Mall.
6/30/1895: The Fry’s Spring street car line was opened.
7/1/1888: Charlottesville was incorporated as a city with a government consisting of a mayor, 10 councilmen, and other subsidiary officials.
7/2/1976: The Charlottesville Pedestrian Mall was opened, designed by landscape architect Lawrence Halprin. It is one of the longest pedestrian malls in the U.S.
7/3/1906: Carrie Buck was born in Charlottesville.
7/4/1826&1831: Presidents Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe passed away five years apart.
7/5/1988: The Charlottesville City Council endorsed the Henry B. Mitchell Hope House.
7/6/1962: William Faulkner died of a heart attack in Mississippi and willed the major manuscripts and personal papers in his possession to the Special Collections Library at the University of Virginia.
7/7/1934: The first state dispensary of alcohol in Charlottesville opened at 421 East Main Street.
7/8/2009: Charlottesville schools are awarded a Department of Education U.S. history grant.
7/9/1962: President John F. Kennedy sent the city of Charlottesville a telegram in honor of its 200th birthday.
7/10/1976: Queen Elizabeth II visited the University of Virginia and Monticello.
7/11/1904: Martha Jefferson Hospital opened on East High Street.
7/12/1956: Federal Judge John Paul ordered the desegregation of Charlottesville City schools.
7/13/2009: The first ever Charlottesville Restaurant Week began.
7/14/1926: The cornerstone was laid for the George W. Wright Pavilion at the Blue Ridge Sanatorium.
7/15/1861: Charlottesville General Hospital was opened on the grounds of the University of Virginia.
7/16/1982: Senator John W. Warner spoke at the groundbreaking of the new Federal Courthouse on Vinegar Hill.
7/17/1973: A grand jury convened in Albemarle Circuit Court to determine “community standards” on obscenity.
7/18/1944: Charlottesville City Mayor J. Emmet Gleason asked citizen to conserve water due to a recent drought.
7/19/1948: Mincer’s was opened on the Corner and moved to the present location in summer 1954.
7/20/1956: The University of Virginia announced that it had acquired an original printed copy of the Declaration of Independence.
7/21/1885: Frances Parkinson Keyes was born in Charlottesville.
7/22/1861: Dr. Oriana Moon was temporarily appointed as a surgeon at Charlottesville General Hospital.
7/23/1994: Charlottesville resident Robert Gilruth is inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame.
7/24/1995: The Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Charlottesville and the United Way announced that the 1996 Olympic Torch would pass through Charlottesville.
7/25/1884: Vandalism occurred at Monticello and the lock on TJ’s tomb was broken.
7/26/1919: The Charlottesville Construction Company was incorporated.
7/27/2005: The Charlottesville Pavilion was opened and holds 3,500 people.
7/28/1992: Governor Douglas L. Wilder held a trade summit at the University of Virginia.
7/29/1913: A representative from the National Anti-Suffrage Federation spoke at the University of Virginia about protective laws over the right to vote.
7/30/1943: The USS Charlottesville was launched in Wisconsin and christened by Mrs. J. Emmett Gleason, wife of then Mayor Gleason of Charlottesville.
7/31/1896: Horse drawn streetcar service was discontinued in Charlottesville.
8/1/2006: The John Paul Jones arena was opened at the University of Virginia.
8/2/1999: The Charlottesville City Council agreed to help the Piedmont Housing Alliance purchase a block in Fifeville.
8/3/1911: The Charlottesville City Council discussed ways to deal with the low water supply.
8/4/1828: The Albemarle Bible Society was organized at the Eagle Tavern.
8/5/1971: The Albemarle County Sheriff’s Department received a Federal grant for riot control equipment.
8/6/1944: 100 German POWs arrived in Albemarle County to assist farmers in the peach harvest.
8/7/1883: Railroad operators on the C&O line went on strike between Charlottesville and Clifton Forge.
8/8/1918: Word was received from France of Charlottesville’s first fatality of the War.
8/9/1897: The Albemarle Telephone Company was organized and one of the earliest telephones installed was at the Charlottesville Hardware Company.
8/10/2010: The Charlottesville Transit Service announced that it will change its name and image, as well as introduce new routes later in the month.
8/11/1952: A civil defense coordination meeting was held in Charlottesville imploring local Fire Chiefs to prepare for potential fires stemming from atomic blasts.
8/12/1955: Hurricane Connie brought heavy rain and power outages to the area.
8/13/1904: The Charlottesville Fire Department received a new Nott Fire Steam Engine.
8/14/1945: The local radio station announced the surrender of Japanese forces and the end of WWII.
8/15/2004: WCAV debuted as the newest news station in Charlottesville.
8/16/1927: The Jefferson Light, the largest searchlight in the world, was set off at City Hall which illuminated Monticello.
8/17/1954: The Charlottesville Albemarle Airport opened with Piedmont Airlines as the major carrier.
8/18/1774: Meriwether Lewis born at Locust Hill (near the Ivy Depot).
8/19/1969: Hurricane Camille hit Charlottesville.
8/20/1974: Preparations began for the construction of the Downtown Mall.
8/21/1922: The Charlottesville Municipal Band was formally organized.
8/22/1929: Local bookstore owner C.C. Wells was the first passenger to leave Charlottesville by air via the Dixie Flying Service, destination New York.
8/23/1877: Maude Coleman Woods, the first Miss America, was born in Charlottesville.
8/24/1935: The covering of the street car tracks was completed.
8/25/1947: The local water supply tripled when the new 2 million gallon tank was filled.
8/26/1989: Three members of the USSR’s legislature visited University of Virginia law professor A.E. Dick Howard about the writing of a new constitution for their country.
8/27/1928: Ellie Wood Keith left Charlottesville by train to Pennsylvania to exhibit her famous ponies.
8/28/2011: Martha Jefferson Hospital was opened at the new location on Pantops.
8/29/1959: A warehouse fire occurred across from the Southern Railroad Depot and severed railroad and telegraph lines to areas west of town.
8/30/1940: Lane High School was dedicated on McIntire Road.
8/31/1928: The Charlottesville School Board selected a site on Preston Avenue for the construction of a new high school.
9/1/1904: Edwin Alderman became the first President of the University of Virginia.
9/2/1912: Area farmers met at the courthouse to discuss creating an Albemarle County Farmers Union.
9/3/1974: The newly built Charlottesville High School opened for the first day of school.
9/4/1871: The first public school was opened in Charlottesville.
9/5/1904: Ex-mayor Sam McCue was arrested on the suspicion of murdering his wife Fannie the previous night.
9/6/1828: Alexander Garrett opened the Midway Hotel at the corner of Ridge and Main Streets.
9/7/1916: The McGuffey Primary school was opened in Charlottesville.
9/8/1959: Segregation ended in Charlottesville City Schools.
9/9/1948: The Charlottesville Chamber of Commerce passed a resolution on traffic congestion and parking problems in Charlottesville.
9/10/1946: City Manger Seth Burnley announced that despite the drop in water consumption, a shortage remained.
9/11/1957: The University of Virginia Hospital began a vaccination program for employees against Asian Flu.
9/12/1934: A local beautification campaign was launched for cleaner streets and property improvement.
9/13/1979: The Dalai Lama spoke at the University of Virginia.
9/14/1892: The first issue of the Charlottesville Daily Progress was published.
9/15/1950: Gregory Swanson registered as the first black student admitted to a historically white public institution of higher education in Virginia after winning a case in federal court and gaining admission to the University of Virginia.
9/16/1875: Construction began on the old Albemarle County Jail (Jail #5).
9/17/1960: The Valiants performed at the Big Rock ‘N Roll Show held at Albemarle Lake, admission was $1.25
9/18/1888: The City purchased property at the corner of High and Fifth Street NE for the first City Hall.
9/19/1958: Governor J. Lindsay Almond Jr. closed Lane High School and Venable Elementary school in Charlottesville to prevent desegregation.
9/20/1923: City businesses closed to allow employees to attend the annual Piedmont Fair.
9/21/1962: The Lane High school football team defeated Stafford and began a 53 game undefeated streak.
9/22/1958: Charlottesville parents registered their children at makeshift schools following the closing of both Venable and Lane.
9/23/1926: Mayor Jury Y. Brown proclaims “Charlottesville Day” at the Albemarle County Fair.
9/24/1917: The 35th Women’s Christian Temperance Union is held in Charlottesville with 225 delegates.
9/25/1895: A parade of circus animals took place on Main Street with 7,000 residents lining the sidewalk.
9/26/1989: President George H.W. Bush and his cabinet hosted a two day conference on education with state governors the University of Virginia.
9/27/1895: The cornerstone was laid at Christ Episcopal Church.
9/28/1978: A talk was given by convicted Watergate conspirator John Erlichaman at the University of Virginia.
9/29/2009: The Southern opened as a new performance venue and restaurant.
9/30/1959: A deadly tornado struck an orchard and surrounding neighbors in Ivy.
10/1/2009: Amtrak offered a new stop in Charlottesville along the Northwest Regional line.
10/2/1991: Actor Sylvester Stallone gave a talk to University of Virginia drama students.
10/3/1889: Charlottesville became a separate school district with a school board consisting of 1 representative from each of the 4 wards, and 1 at large member elected by the City Council.
10/4/1957: The last parade marking the Apple Harvest Festival was held; the following April, it became the Dogwood Festival.
10/5/1817: Construction began on the University of Virginia.
10/6/2005: The Rolling Stones came to Charlottesville and performed at Scott Stadium.
10/7/1905: The University of Virginia marked Edgar Allen Poe’s dorm room with a bronze tablet.
10/8/1988: John T. Casteen III was named the 7th President of the University of Virginia.
10/9/1974: Former 5th District Congressman, Tom Perriello, was born in Ivy.
10/10/1979: The McCormack Observatory recorded 3.3 inches of snow fall in Charlottesville, marking it the earliest snowfall in Charlottesville history.
10/11/1882: The cornerstone was laid for Temple Beth-Israel.
10/12/1840: George Wythe Randolph was admitted as a member of the Albemarle County bar, and set up a small law practice in Charlottesville.
10/13/1923: A visiting State Republican Party leader suggested that Charlottesville be renamed Monticello to honor Thomas Jefferson.
10/14/1931: Scott Stadium at the University of Virginia opened.
10/15/1886: An advertisement announced the opening of the first steam laundry business in Charlottesville.
10/16/1950: The first annual Apple Harvest Festival was held.
10/17/1777: Thomas Jefferson purchased Montalto also known as Brown’s Mountain.
10/18/1976: Charlottesville resident Cheryl Lynn Nottingham became the first female Virginia State Police Trooper.
10/19/1921: Statue of Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson was dedicated at Jackson Park.
10/20/1995: The first annual Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society Spirit Walk was held.
10/21/1912: The Jefferson Theater opened with both live performances and cinema screenings.
10/22/1857: The first upholstery business was opened in Charlottesville by Matthew Eubank at Court Square.
10/23/1981: Sperry Inc. celebrated the 25th anniversary of its opening in Charlottesville.
10/24/1895: President Grover Cleveland visited Charlottesville via train.
10/25/1925: A fire on Main St. destroyed in the Surber-Arundale publishing plant and the Western Union telegraph office.
10/26/1955: 22 Charlottesville and Albemarle high school students took the National Merit Scholarship Examination.
10/27/1895: The UVA Rotunda roof collapsed due to a fire that originated in the annex.
10/28/1953: The Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport received its license to operate.
10/29/1995: Teddy Roosevelt’s home, Pine Knot was opened to the public in order to gauge interest in the home as a historic site.
10/30/1959: Piedmont Airlines 349 crashed on Bucks Elbow Mountain, 15 miles west of Charlottesville.
10/31/1981: Lane High School became the new Albemarle County Office Building.
11/1/1993: Film Critic Roger Ebert was a guest at the Virginia Film Festival.
11/2/1957: Carter Beauford, Dave Matthews Band drummer, was born in Charlottesville
11/3/1932: WCHV moved from Emory and Henry College to Charlottesville becoming the first radio station in town.
11/4/1897: The first railroad accident occurred 3 miles east of town in Shadwell.
11/5/1824: The Marquis de Lafayette visited Charlottesville to see his good friends James Monroe and Thomas Jefferson.
11/6/1782: Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson, wife of Thomas Jefferson, passed away.
11/7/1825: The school of medicine opened at the University of Virginia under the designation the School of Anatomy and Medicine.
11/8/1961: James N. Flemming was appointed to a four year term to the Charlottesville Housing Authority.
11/9/1982: MTV was added to the Jefferson Cable System in Charlottesville.
11/10/1903: The Charlottesville City and Suburban Railway was sold at auction and reorganized as the Charlottesville and Albemarle Railway Co.
11/11/1918: The City revels in the news of the end to the war and Mayor Haden was lenient on the speed limits in the city.
11/12/1840: The murder of UVA Professor A.G. Davis occurred on the Lawn by a student and lead to the School’s honor code required by all students to uphold.
11/13/1982: The Charlottesville Downtown Historic District was named to the National Register of Historic Places.
11/14/1947: Ten local delegates attended the first postwar state convention of the Virginia Young Democrats club in Richmond.
11/15/1957: The University of Virginia Medical Center announced that a grant from the US Public Health Service and other funders would allow them to build new cancer labs.
11/16/1961: The new Belmont Bridge was opened.
11/17/1956: The National Radio Astronomy Observatory was founded with its headquarters in Charlottesville.
11/18/1977: Actress Elizabeth Taylor taught a seminar for drama students at the University of Virginia.
11/19/1966: The Gordon Avenue branch of the Jefferson Madison Regional Library was opened.
11/20/1970: The University of Virginia Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
11/21/1919: The Lewis and Clark statue (presently on West Main St.) was unveiled by sculptor Charles Keck.
11/22/1943: A clothing drive was held to gather clothes for those in need that have been liberated by the Allied forces.
11/23/1799: James and Elizabeth Monroe returned from France and moved in to Ash Lawn-Highland, down the road from Thomas Jefferson at Monticello.
11/24/1952: The Charlottesville City Council appointed a committee to study a proposed parking lot on High St.
11/25/1931: The Paramount Theater opened for business on eve of Thanksgiving.
11/26/1913: The Albemarle County Fair was incorporated.
11/27/2009: The Jefferson Theater reopened with a performance by the band, Sons of Bill.
11/28/1933: The first female officers chosen for the United Confederate Veterans are from Charlottesville.
11/29/1972: Marguerite’s Brothel was demolished at 303 Fifth Street revealing a stash of money and other treasure.
11/30/2010: A Kick-off event was held for the repairs of the Belmont Bridge at CitySpace.
12/1/1910: The Brookdale Dairy was opened in Charlottesville.
12/2/1931: The Citizen’s Bank and Trust Company opened at 200 East Market Street; was the only bank to open in the United States that year.
12/3/1912: The Southern Railway Wreck occurred when a passenger train collided with a freight train in the lower end of the Southern yards.
12/4/1965: The University of Virginia played its first basketball game in University Hall, unfortunately they lost to Kentucky.
12/5/1948: Area Boy Scouts held a paper drive and collected almost two railroad cars worth of paper.
12/6/1919: The University of Virginia Student Body adopted a resolution calling for the hiring of a permanent football coach.
12/7/1945: Navy Ensign Horace W. Heath of Charlottesville was awarded 7 medals in recognition of his service in World War II.
12/8/1941: The Civilian Defense Headquarters stayed open all day for volunteer enlistments.
12/9/1908: A ceremony was held at the University of Virginia to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the birth of John Milton.
12/10/1988: The White House announced that President Ronald Reagan would give a speech on foreign policy at the University of Virginia the following Friday.
12/11/1987: Monticello and the University of Virginia were designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
12/12/1840: Charlotte “Lottie” Digges Moon was born.
12/13/1964: The Westhaven public housing project was dedicated.
12/14/1875: The People’s Bank was granted a charter as a state bank.
12/15/2004: The Paramount Theater was re-opened after being restored to its former glory.
12/16/1852: The Richmond and Charlottesville Turnpike Company was chartered.
12/17/1818: Col. William Woods drafted and submitted a plan for the layout of Charlottesville city blocks.
12/18/1868: The Charlottesville Woolen Mills was chartered as a corporation.
12/19/1960: Monticello was listed on the US National Register of Historic Places.
12/20/1953: The cornerstone was laid at the site of the New Greek Orthodox Church on McIntire Road.
12/21/1853: John S. Mosby was pardoned for his crime after a petition was signed by 298 people in Charlottesville.
12/22/1989: Overnight temperatures fell below zero for the first time.
12/23/1762: Albemarle County’s seat transferred from Scottsville to Charlottesville, mandated by an act of the Virginia Legislature.
12/24/1958: Charlottesville Mayor, Thomas J. Michie, announced that he expected schools to reopen following federal guidelines in the New Year.
12/25/1900: Around 150 needy children were entertained and given gifts at the Amory.
12/26/1967: Delegate Richard H. Middleton resigned his seat in the Virginia General Assembly.
12/27/1912: President-elect Woodrow Wilson passed through Charlottesville on his way to Staunton.
12/28/1770: Albemarle Iron Works was founded.
12/29/1916: A representative from the State Prohibition Commission confiscated 66 packages containing alcoholic beverages from the local Railway Express office.
12/30/2006: The Hardware Store Restaurant closed after 30 years.
12/31/1983: The first year of First Night Virginia was celebrated in Charlottesville.