Oakhurst-Gildersleeve Neighborhood Historic District
The Oakhurst-Gildersleeve Neighborhood Historic District was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register on December 19, 2008 and the National Register of Historic Places on March 25, 2009. The district is located near Jefferson Park Avenue (which forms the northern and western district boundaries) and is southwest of the University of Virginia. Maywood Lane is the southern boundary and the eastern boundary is formed by the back edge of properties fronting Valley Road, Valley Circle, and Oakhurst Circle.
The Oakhurst-Gildersleeve Neighborhood was originally one property with a prominent house known as Oakhurst, which burned in 1915. After the home burned, the property was gradually subdivided and became a residential community for employees of the University of Virginia and Charlottesville businessmen. Classics professor, Basil L Gildersleeve likely owned and rented out Oakhurst when it burned, and his name later became associated with the new development on the property through the naming of Gildersleeve Wood, the street that connects Oakhurst Circle with Valley Road.
The neighborhood features several buildings constructed by the locally famous architect Eugene Bradbury and was a convenient and upscale development for University faculty. During the 1920s there was an intense debate over the proposal to move the medical school from Charlottesville to Richmond. Better housing options, such as that available in the Oakhurst-Gildersleeve neighborhood, were a significant part of the push to keep the school in Charlottesville.
Oakhurst-Gildersleeve Historic District National Register Nomination Report
Historic District Map