NDS LEED-ND Pilot Program
The LEED for Neighborhood Development (LEED-ND) Rating System integrates the principles of smart growth, urbanism and green building into the first national system for neighborhood design. LEED certification provides independent, third-party verification that a development's location and design meet accepted high levels of environmentally responsible, sustainable development. LEED-ND is a collaborative effort of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), the Congress for the New Urbanism and the Natural Resources Defense Council.
Neighborhood Development Services (NDS) is now offering official staff support to assist any homeowner or property owner who desires to achieve LEED-ND certification for their project. The primary focus of LEED-ND is on development features such as site selection, accessibility to basic necessities of life, and access to economical and environmentally-friendly modes of transportation. NDS encourages sustainable development in Charlottesville, in accordance with the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
Benefits of Being a LEED Certified Community
Benefits for Project Developers
New Services Offered:
1. NDS Staff will conduct a preliminary review of your Site Plan to determine how near your project is to achieving basic certification.
2. Based on the preliminary review, NDS staff will generate a list of recommended actions or changes you can make on your Site Plan or associated documents. These changes should help you attain additional credits toward the basic level of certification.
3. NDS staff will provide you with a project-specific CD with maps showing existing amenities that can be used to attain LEED credits (e.g. basic amenities near the site, such as a grocery store or post office). This CD will assist you in submitting required LEED-ND deliverables.
4. NDS staff has also prepared a quick checklist to help you estimate your LEED credits, as compared to the required number of credits for each level of certification. This checklist is based on the LEED qualifying credits that are most commonly available in the City of Charlottesville.
5. If your project receives LEED certification, NDS will post it on this website and highlight the benefits of certification for the project itself (e.g. energy savings) and for the community.