Four and five year old children can be extremely daring. They may be learning to ride two-wheeled bikes; probably using training wheels, but Big Wheels, skateboards, in-line skates, scooters, and roller skates can be just as dangerous. With these, children can speed down sidewalks, behind parked cars, and into streets in a flash. Teach the children proper safety rules and remind them to wear protective pads and helmets during all of these activities.
Where are some safe places to ride your bikes, skateboards, roller skates, and in-line skates?
Discuss such places as parks, school grounds, bike trails, and sidewalks. You should not ride or skate in the street unless there is very little traffic and an adult is watching you closely. If you are riding or skating on the street with an adult, pay attention to traffic. Never ride or skate on busy roads or driveways. Just because you can see the driver of a car does not mean that the driver can see you.
What should you wear when you are doing these things?
- If you ride bikes or other things on wheels, your helmet should be on your head with the chin straps fastened.
- Helmets protect your brain, the part of your body that lets you make good decisions and grow strong and healthy.
- Wear bright colors during daylight and reflective material after dark.
- Use Velcro, metal or rubber bands to keep loose pant legs out of the chain.
- Is it a good idea to give a friend a ride on your bike?
- One to a bike is the only safe way to ride. Take turns if you need to.
Should you ride your bike (etc.) after dark?
- When it’s dark, it’s time to go inside. Drivers can’t see you when it’s dark.
- Put your bike away in a safe place and ride again tomorrow.
Virginia Vehicle Laws Bicyclists Must Obey:
- All traffic regulations must be obeyed. Including traffic signs, signals, markings and lights.
- Ride with the flow of traffic.
- Ride as close as practical to the right hand curb or edge.
- Exceptions are:
When overtaking and passing another vehicle
When preparing for a left turn
When people, animals, parked cars or other objects make traveling unsafe
When narrow lane widths do not provide sufficient room for a motor vehicle and bicycle to share the lane
- Ride single file on highways. Riding two or more abreast is permitted on paths or parts of highways exclusively for bike use.