Planning for Meade Park and Onesty Pool
PHOTOS OF THE MEADE PARK TRANSFORMATION PROJECT
In 2005 Parks and Needs Assessment it was determined that Onesty Pool was beyond the point of cost-effective repair and is in need of replacement. In order to ensure the best use of funding and parkland, a planning process was begun in 2006 for the entire park including how and where to rebuild Onesty Pool.
In 2007, CCDC was hired to help begin the planning process.
Public meetings were held during the winter of 2007/2008 to further refine the conceptual plans into a master plan for the park and pool. Kimley Horn was contracted by the City to assist with this process.
On February 13, 2008, Staff and the consultant team met with the Woolen Mills neighborhood Association to discuss the history of the project, gather community preferences for the pool and the park, and to hear adjacent property owners' concerns. The next day, staff and consultants reviewed the prior nights meeting results, and Kimley Horn was given the task of creating a master plan based on the community and staff input and bring it back in March.
Some design elements noted at this point in the overall park plan include:
- Ease of Construction
- No net loss of a swimming season
- Environmental sustainability
- Stream health and water quality
- Accommodating the Farmer’s Market
- Focus on play and entertainment value in the pool
- Attempting to accommodate a river or current channel
- A diving board area as well as a slide
- Reduced parking footprint from the first set of plans, but include circulation and preservation of trees.
- The proposed sprayground was discussed as an additional amenity that is not required, but could be added later. Other parks have spraygrounds and the community would prefer money be spent on other amenities at the park.
February 13 meeting powerpoint presentation
On March 11, 2008, the draft master plan was presented to the community for review and comment.
Agenda - March 11, 2008
Draft Master Plan - March 11, 2008
Draft Master Plan Pool Section - March 11, 2008
Final draft plan - May 13, 2008
Parking Lot adjustment - June 2008
On June 20, 2009, Onesty Family Aquatic Center at Meade Park opened to the public!