About Our Neighborhood
Johnson Village is located in the southwest sector of the city. The neighborhood is suburban in character, primarily consisting of single-family detached housing units. This well-established neighborhood is also attractive because of its mature tree canopy and manicured lawns. It is in close proximity to both UVA and downtown Charlottesville.
Johnson Village is the remaining vestige of land originally owned by Bellemeade Development Corporation, which was sold to the McElroy family before Cherry Avenue was built. Forest Hills, Green Valleys, Johnson School, and the U.S. Army Reserve
Building were part of earlier sales by Bellemeade. This land was subdivided and developed by LeRoy Bruton prior to the City’s annexation of this land in 1962.
Johnson Elementary School is a focal point of the Johnson Village Neighborhood. Built in 1954, Johnson School is located in the northern section of the neighborhood. Not only does the school serve as a place of education, but also as a neighborhood meeting place and recreation place for youth in the community. Two new housing developments border Johnson Village, Village Place and Cherry Hill.