A STUDENT RENDEZVOUS SINCE THE MID 1800S
The Corner Local Marker University Avenue
Across from UVA Gates
In the early 1900s, “the Corner,” so named by the University crowd, was but a sparse collection of businesses at the entrance to the University Grounds-literally just a corner. In the intervening years, “the Corner” has grown into a bustling commercial district.
Many of “the Corner’s” early structures still stand along University Ave.-between 14th and Chancellor Streets—including: the C&O Railroad Bridge (1901), also known as the “Bridge of Scores;” Chancellor’s Drugstore (1914), located at 1411-1415; the Corner Building (1914) at 1412; and the Anderson Brothers Bookstore building (1891) at 1415. Two of “the Corner’s” institutions are: The Virginian Restaurant (1923 at 1521, on of the oldest eateries in the city; and Mincer’s Pipe Shop (1923) which opened at its 1527 address in 1954.
Tree lined Elliewood Ave. is the city’s liveliest dead-end street. Named in 1910 for Ellie Wood Page (1894-1986), whose mother ran a boarding house, Elliewood Ave. became a busy thoroughfare of restaurants and shops in the 1970s.