SIXTH STREET BUILDINGS
CHARLOTTESVILLE'S FIRST SHOPS AND LIBRARY
6th Street Buildings Local Marker 6th Street Court Square
This brick building on 6th Street dates from the 1830s. Here once stood frame structures that served as storage, a library, a watchmaker’s shop, and a liquor store. The library was founded in 1823 with a donation of books by Congressional Clegeryman Andrew Eliot of Boston. Thomas Jefferson and Presbyterian Minister Francis Bowman were on the Library Committee. Lewis Leschot from Switzerland was the watchmaker, and miser Johnny Yergain sold liquor. A two story home that once stood along 6th Street was owned at first by Joel Terell and then from 1774 to 1823 by an Irish political refugee and cabinetmaker by the name of Butler. Mr. Butler’s home also served as a tavern and hotel, and it was possibly used as a temporary meeting site for the Virginia General Assembly in 1781.