For media inquiries or questions regarding press releases, please contact:
Charlottesville Office of Communications
Brian Wheeler, Director of Communications
To watch live streaming video of Charlottesville's Own TV10, the City's news and information channel, click here
Information for August 12
• The City of Charlottesville Police Department is preparing for the possibility of people gathering at both McIntire and Emancipation Parks. These plans may involve road closures on Saturday, August 12. Further information regarding traffic plans will be released on Thursday, August 10, 2017
• With large crowds of individuals with strongly held and potentially opposing beliefs, there is also the potential for conflict. Those who live and work in the area of these events should exercise their best judgment on the day of the rally and should avoid the area if they have concerns. Err on the side of caution if in doubt.
• CPD and their law enforcement partners, primarily the Virginia State Police, will have a visible presence in the City over the weekend for the purpose of ensuring this remains a peaceful assembly, and for the safety and protection of people and property. These law enforcement agencies have been working together in preparation for the August 12 event.
• There will be increased law enforcement patrols in neighborhoods adjacent to McIntire Park and in Downtown Charlottesville.
• We remind our community that people are guaranteed the right to assemble peacefully in public spaces and express their opinions.
• A number of community organizations are arranging events as counter programming to the rally. Please consider attending those events.
• As logistical information is finalized and available, it will be released to the media and available to the public online at the City’s website www.charlottesville.org under our “news” heading.
• On the day of the event, releases will be posted online to our regional emergency management community website www.communityemergency.org
• Updates will also be posted throughout the day of August 12 via social media on Facebook and Twitter.