For media inquiries or questions regarding press releases, please contact:
Director of Communications
To watch live streaming video of Charlottesville's Own TV10, the City's news and information channel, click here
Application Period for Real Estate Tax Relief for Elderly and Disabled Persons Open
Qualifications for the program are:
• The applicant must be 65 years of age(or older) or permanently and totally disabled (subject to verification) as of December 31, 2016;
• The property for which the exemption is claimed must be occupied as the sole dwelling of the applicant;
• The gross combined income in 2016 from all sources for applicant, applicant's spouse, and any relatives in such dwelling shall not exceed $50,000. The first $7,500 of income classified as permanent disability compensation for the applicant shall be excluded from the gross income calculation;
• The first $8,500 of income of each relative other than the spouse of such applicant who is living in such dwelling shall be excluded from the gross income calculation;
• The net combined financial worth, excluding the dwelling, of the applicant and applicant's spouse as of December 31, 2016 cannot have exceed $125,000.
Applications must be submitted in person at the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office in City Hall.
Applicants should bring current identification along with the following:
Income Documentation: wages (W2), pensions/retirement, veterans disability income, capital gains, interest/dividends, trust income, rents received, SSI, SSA, Social Services annual benefit statements, or IRS 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ.
Net Worth Documentation: other real estate, checking, savings, CD's, stocks, bonds, investment accounts, and any other assets.
The application period will end March 1, 2017. For more information about the program contact the Commissioner of the Revenue at 434-970-3160.