News and Press Releases

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

For media inquiries or questions regarding press releases, please contact:

Charlottesville Office of Communications
Brian Wheeler, Director of Communications

To watch live streaming video of Charlottesville's Own TV10, the City's news and information channel, click here


Peddlers / Vendors / Food Trucks

Licensing Requirements

Post Date:11/07/2017 2:00 PM

Chapter 14 of the Charlottesville City Code requires that vendors selling goods or services door-to-door or from a temporary location in Charlottesville obtain a peddler’s license.  Issued annually by the Commissioner of the Revenue, the $125 license fee/tax is pro-ratable by quarter for the number of quarters and partial quarters left in the license year.

In order to sell on the Downtown Mall, you will also need to get a Downtown Mall Vending Permit from the Department of Neighborhood Development Services.

Food Vendors

In addition to a peddler’s license, food vendors (including food trucks) are required to have a provisional use permit from NDS and a valid health permit from the Virginia Health Department stating that the mobile food unit meets all applicable standards.

Food vendors are also responsible for collecting and remitting meals tax on all sales conducted within the City.

Return to full list >>